River rocks VS. Sand

hey thanks heaps yeah that helped. i was thinking of getting a dish type thing but haven't gotten around to it. im still a bit worried about the sand but it better than gravel, easier to clean than just rocks. and apparently the cant grip onto a clear bottomed tank. lol :S too much stuff. thanks again

Okay, I'm seriously considering sand. Is is special river sand, or plain old fine sand? Can I scoop it up from the beach? (I think the answer on that one will be No but I'm asking anyway)

Pool filter sand, not kiddy-sandbox sand. You'll want something with the bigger grains, like Nathan said. It doesn't cloud the water as much, and will sink faster when your axolotl goes in for a crash-landing.

So going with the theory that bigger grained sand is better, I'd say beach sand would be fine?

I always thought that kiddy-sandpit sand was actually quite large grained, at least the one my lil sis had in her clamshell was large grained :D

I think I'll be checking out the beach sand. Perth beaches are pretty grainy.

The only thing Im concerned about with beach sand is little organisms and diatoms and stuff. Whether these might come into the tank or be harmful? Just curious if anyone has any ideas on this!

What about 'baking' the sand in the oven first to sterilize it? I'd do it f I bought sand as well, as well as giving it a good washing, you never know what could be in it.

I remember someone else on the forum using beach sand and baking it first. I don't think they had any problems.
However, you can purchase aquarium sand without the risk of introducing small organisms and bacteria into your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back