Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Room mates?

K

karisha

Can Axolotls be in a tank with other fish or creatures? From the majority of info I have read they tell you to stay clear of placing fish etc in the tank with them. I wanted to hear yalls experiences or suggestions.

Oceans of Hugs,
Karisha

M

mik

Not reccommended unless you want one to be food for the other.
Gills get nibbles small fish get hunted down by the axies.
Butterfly plecs are ok and they keep the algae under control. They are a bit thorny on the outsdie so axies soon learn to leave them alone

B

brad

Hey guys. i know its not recommended but has anyone had any luck with keeping other fish besides feeder fish with Axolotls? i have guppies and some form of stripy zebra looking feeder fish in with my two axies. The axies occasionally eat one or two but i wanted something a bit bigger for decoration i.e Paradise Fish. Any help would be appreciated.

K

kim

Brad, I would not recommened to have any fish in with a axie for any period of time.

They can carry things that axies can pick up, most fish with think that axies gill are food, and will nibble nibble nibble until they are all gone.

Take a look around the forum, I have a few comment on people keeping fish with axie, with bad results.

M

maggie

I had my axies for several weeks before I introduced another fish in with them. I had moved them to school and decided I wanted a catfish to help me keep the tank clean. I got a corydoras with a couple black stripes. At the time he seemed a lot bigger than what the axies would try to eat and I have not seen any missing fins or gills on either the catfish or the axies. They do not seem to bother each other. The corydoras also would not have a tendency to nibble on gills like I've heard other fish do because their mouths are meant for sucking food off the bottom. My corydoras, or "Nemo", has a fine time cleaning up the tank after the messy axies eat. The unheated water does not seem to bother it either.

C

cynthia

Does anyone have any experience(or horror stories) with apple snails being housed with axolotls?

D

daniel

Don't Put Any Thing with an axolotl but another axolotl I no of people that have put in sucker fish that have sucked off the axolotl skin leaving to die an agonising death. So DON'T PUT ANY THING WITH AN AXOLOTL but a axolotl!!!

Dan

K

kim

Cynthia,

Please take a look at the quote below... this is from the link that Jen has posted..

So I think its a NO :p

Snails--Advice?
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:24:

I recently acquired 4 axolotls. Ranging from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2". I also raise apple snails. Apple snails have an operculum or door to their shell that they retract inside when they pull in their foot. The operculum is made of the same material as the shell and therfore hard with sharp edges.

After settling the axolotls into their tank with a few apple snails, I left them alone for about 30 minutes, and when I returned, the largest axolotl (also my only leucistic) had its head inside one of the snails. This particular snail was around 3" in diameter. What probably happened was that when the axolotl investigated, the snail tried to close up into its shell.

Well I pulled the shell open enough to get the axolotl out and the operculum had cut its throat, of course killing my axolotl. If I had left it in the tank the snail probably would have eaten what it could and the other snails would have joined in. If you have a weak or injured fish, newt, etc. or something that simply cannot get away from a snail it could very well be eaten.

Please also add, that while snails may be slow, they are still very interesting and amazing creatures to keep. Also, that while larger apple snails pose a danger to soft bodied creatures (and this only because of the previously mentioned self-preservation ability) their are many other species of snail that do not have a "door". Therefore being safe for any, but slow, sick, or injured creatures.

C

cynthia

That was exactly what I was looking for, Thanks Kim
happy.gif

D

daniel

Sorry kim ,
How Big do Apple snail's grow and are they the big golden snail the you see in the aquarium's Pet shop's

V

vanessa

Heh I went to this petshop where I got my Dragoon II from... there was like... 20 neon tetras in the tank! I reckon that they escaped by the filter lines that was connected to all TANKS!!

K

kim

Thats ok Cynthia, I was reading it and I noticed your post.

I believe that apple snails get to 2-4 inchs.. my local shop sells them and they are around 1inch at the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!