Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander and Toad Together?

valia

Reaction score
I caught small toad in my backyard- can he cohabitate with my wild-caught terrestrial salamander? Thank you!

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
They salamander shouldn’t eat it. You do risk a chance if the toad is as big as or smaller than the sals mouth. If the toad is big enough and the tank gives each their own hiding space and the ability to separate, you should be good. Keep in mind American Toads tend to prefer slightly dryer soil than most terrestrial salamanders.

valia

Reaction score
They salamander shouldn’t eat it. You do risk a chance if the toad is as big as or smaller than the sals mouth. If the toad is big enough and the tank gives each their own hiding space and the ability to separate, you should be good. Keep in mind American Toads tend to prefer slightly dryer soil than most terrestrial salamanders.
I decided to let the toad go. Would a Squirrel Tree Frog be a small enough companion for my salamander? He's just a tiny salamander.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
What type of salamander? I’m from Michigan so I’m not well Versed with east coast herps, Hyla genus which contains the squirrel tree frog work with what I have up here. The arboreal nature clash’s with the terrestrial and they rarely encounter. If it is a small plethodon, make a call your self if it looks like it could be to much of a hazard. They wouldn’t eat them in the wild, but they would never meet in the wild. A juvenile would be fine with most plethodon adults. It should be good as long as the salamander has plenty of hides to feel safe if it’s small, call is yours- Jace

valia

Reaction score
Well, my salamander passed away yesterday. I did everything I could to keep him alive: getting special soil, a large tank, trying to feed him stuff small enough for him- small crickets, earthworms, baby slugs, etc. My husband rescued him from a weed eater he found him in, covered in gasoline, back in May. I'm devastated. I think he was a type of a slimy salamander. I don't think I'll try keeping a salamander quite so small again, it is quite a challenge, for me anyway.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that. You did all you could. Sometimes thing just happen. You did great care if he lived through the gasoline. Good job, it wasn’t your fault.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!