Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander found in my pool!

bingobob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd appreciate some advice about what to do with these salamanders (I think) that I keep finding in my pool.

First, is it a salamander? If not, what is it?

salou.jpg

It seems quite happy living at the bottom of the pool, but I am worried that it is only in there because it can't get out.

So my most pressing question is should I leave it be? Or get it out of the pool?

Thanks.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I can´t see the picture, but taking the name "Salou" as reference i´d venture the animal in question is a Pleurodeles waltl??
They usually find their way into pools because their habitats are destroyed or modified and they need to move. This is a problem for the poor thing if the water is treated with chlorine. I would remove it and take it to a local recuperation center, where they will care for it until it can be rehomed. Rehoming it yourself involves certain risks so it´s best avoided. Simply taking it to the closest water mass is unlikely to work.
Oh, and provided it is a P.waltl, it´s considered a newt rather than a salamander (although this distinction is artifitial and biologically meaningless).

bingobob

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner, but I thought my topic had disappeared and I never got any notifications. I just posted again :( Sorry.

I don't know why the photo won't show. I'll try again:

salou.jpg

bingobob

Reaction score
I can´t see the picture, but taking the name "Salou" as reference i´d venture the animal in question is a Pleurodeles waltl??
They usually find their way into pools because their habitats are destroyed or modified and they need to move. This is a problem for the poor thing if the water is treated with chlorine. I would remove it and take it to a local recuperation center, where they will care for it until it can be rehomed.
Looks like this forum doesn't like imageshack images.

They look exactly like this one:
fire-salamander-2605.jpg

There is a lot of new construction going on around me, so as you say, maybe their habitat is being destroyed. This upsets me because I would much rather have the salamandars as neighbours than the ones I've got.

The pool is barely chlorinated, but will be renovated soon and kept clean. I'm thinking about fabricating some kind of ramp for them to climb out.

I don't live in the UK, I'm in France. I have no idea if anything is in place to look after these creatures. I will try to find out.

Thanks for your input.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They are S.salamandra terrestris alright. They are likely trying to use the pool as a spawning site since that´s usually the only time this species seeks water. Either that or they keep falling in accidentally.
They aren´t good swimmers and can drown if submerged for a prolonger length of time.

If their habitat is being destroyed i would contact a local environmental organism. They are likely to be able to deal with the poor things. The species is protected so there must be some organization, official or otherwise you can contact.
Thanx for lending a hand on helping this wonderful and fascinating species :)

bingobob

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

It must be that time of year again, because I'm starting to find more salamanders in the pool. Here is a pciture of a big one I pulled out:

Picture607a.jpg

Picture608a.jpg

I'm checking the pool frequently to make sure that they don't stay in tool long before I notice.

With this one I found 5 "tadpoles" that I got out, too, although sadly 3 of them were dead :(. I put them in an ad hoc pond caused by all this rain where at least they'll be able to climb out.

I am thinking now of making a proper pond where they will be more comfortable than my pool. My wife and I love these creatures and want to do what we can to protect and promote their proliferation - problem is I don't know much about them. Any advice much welcomed.

Today I found this guy in the pool:

Picture612a.jpg

Is it a salamander also?

smily sam

Reaction score
That is a marbled newt, either Triturus marmoratus or Triturus pygmaeus. Do you live in the UK, because as far as I know these species are native to mainland Europe but not the UK.
Sam:happy:

bingobob

Reaction score
Hi Sam.

Thanks for that! I live in the south of France, so that would explain the newt's presence in my pool :)

Linus

Reaction score
I've never been so jealous of anything. Species I've been trying to get for 3 years is falling into your pool. Ah, life..

slowfoot

Reaction score
Beautiful animals! I think building a natural pond for them to use during the breeding season would be an excellent idea, and a nice addition to any garden.

In the meantime, if your pool is not too large you can build a temporary drift fence around it to keep small animals from falling in. This is basically just short wooden stakes (about a foot tall or less) surrounding the perimeter that you attach some plastic sheeting to. You can use rocks or bricks to keep animals from getting under the edge of the plastic, but the best method is to bury the edge a few inches into the ground. The newts will hit the barrier but won't be able to climb it.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s one beautiful Triturus marmoratus female. They are so nice and fat....lovely xD
That fire salamander looks amazing too, you are one lucky human!

I was thinking exactly the same while reading the post, Erin, a small fence could be easy to make and inexpensive while succesfully preventing the animals from accessing the pool.
If you are up for it i would really encourage you to make that pond in your garden. These animals, and some others would benefit from having a new habitat to use, specially in this day and age where habitat destruction is their greatest threat.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I wish I had an inground pool ._. I think that would a good idea, to build them a pond. You'd be doing a great thing by building them a pond. I'm going to build a pond when I get older.

bingobob

Reaction score
I've talked about it with my wife and we're both in favour of making a pond for these guys. Doesn't have to be very big, I guess. Just need to figure out a way to stop the neighbour's kids falling in :)

I fished out another marbled newt yesterday. A little one this time and I suspect not fully matured. The red stripe down the back was barely visible.

Interesting thing, when I pull them out they barely move, but as my they absorb the heat from my hand they become more and more energetic.

Molch

Reaction score
spectacular! Now, if their habitat nearby has been destroyed, your pool may be the closest thing to a breeding pond they could find in the vicinity. Are there other wetlands around you? That marbled female looks quite preggers.

A pond would be awesome. To have marbled newts and fire sals breed in one's backyard is a wet dream come true....I'm mottled green with envy.

bingobob

Reaction score
I've been checking the pool regularly and there's been nothing. Until this morning when I found this beauty:

aDscn2510.jpg

aDscn2514.jpg

aDscn2509.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!