Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander Veterinary Visits

Tw1st3dR0s3

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am going to be working on a project for a vet school rotation on salamanders in the veterinary clinic, and I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions on things to cover. I'm focusing on salamanders, but if you have any input regarding amphibians in general, that is fine.

A few questions that may help me get started would be:
What would you want a veterinarian to know if you brought in your amphibian?
What kind of services would you like a veterinary clinic to offer regarding amphibians? (including any diagnostics)
Why or why not would you take your amphibian to see a veterinarian?
What has your experiences, if any, been with veterinarians regarding your amphibians?

I would appreciate any feedback at all. The material from my project may be available to our clinicians and students here.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would want the vet to do a fecal exam for parasites.

Possibly a test for Bsal.

Most vets are not trained to take care of salamanders. You often hear where the vet used the proper treatment but the salamander died. Salamanders are fragile. Sometimes it seems like the vet killed the animal with the treatment.

The vet should ask for lots of input from the hobbyist. Many times the hobbyist knows what is needed more than the vet.

Tw1st3dR0s3

Reaction score
I would want the vet to do a fecal exam for parasites.
I totally forgot about fecals. Thanks!

Possibly a test for Bsal.
This one was on my list. I know some hobbyists will send in samples themselves, but I think it's an important test to include in my project. I was also going to include water quality testing for aquatic and semi-aquatic environments.

Most vets are not trained to take care of salamanders. You often hear where the vet used the proper treatment but the salamander died. Salamanders are fragile. Sometimes it seems like the vet killed the animal with the treatment.

The vet should ask for lots of input from the hobbyist. Many times the hobbyist knows what is needed more than the vet.
You're right that we don't get much if any training in salamanders (unless studying it as a special interest). I think in some cases the amphibian is too far gone to treat. It doesn't help that it also puts a lot of stress on an already sick animal to transport it to a clinic where it will undergo even more stress with diagnostics. Even if the animal dies, it can be useful to perform a necropsy (or send the body off for necropsy). I think it's important to make sure it wasn't something that was going to harm other tank mates.

I agree that the veterinary should ask for input from a hobbyist. Each amphibian species is different, and the experienced hobbyist is going to know the specifics of that species best. The veterinarian should be willing to listen to and work with the hobbyist. The same could be said for the hobbyist working with the veterinarian. I'm hoping my project can at least teach veterinarians/veterinary students some basic amphibian handling/care.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1