Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamanders indoor/outdoor

Shilling

Reaction score
Hi, i am new on this forum and have a few questions, i would like to know the best way to keep salamanders, i have a tiger and fire salamander in a big plastic tub, 24x12x12 inch (one tub for each species)and keep it outside, i have bought them in for the winter, can tiger salamanders live outside all year round or would they be better setup indoors. i know fire sals can be kept outside with big enough enclosure and some where for it to hibernate, i would eventually like a large group of tiger sals and a few different species of fire sals. if i couldn't have an outdoor enclosure could they be kept in the plastic tubs all year round in the summer and bring them in in the winter?(kept in pairs)
group of sals keep in their tubs in winter and in summer put them in an bigger outdoor enclosure?
any ones thoughts a comment welcome, i probably haven't explained it to well but hopefully will come clearer as we go
many thanks
paul

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The considerations for outdoor salamander enclosures in the UK will be similar for both Fire and Tiger salamanders. Summer heat and freezing winters will have to be protected against and appropriate refuges provided to allow escape from extremes. A shady location is advisable and you’ll want hides that go well below the frost line with plenty of leaf litter piled on top for extra protection. Plastic tubs, unless buried into the ground are unlikely to protect against severe frost. Another consideration is that many plastic storage tubs degrade very quickly when exposed to UV and frost, becoming brittle after only a few months. Permanent outdoor enclosures are usually constructed from more durable materials such as wood, concrete or plastics that are intended for outdoor use. Many keepers opt for over wintering in outhouses/garages rather than outdoors. This avoids the need for elaborate permanent enclosures.

JM29

Reaction score
I fully agree with Mark's remarks.

I would add a "detail" :

It can rain in an outdoor enclosure. If it is tight, you'll have tol find a way to prevent flooding of the enclosure. If instead you choose to let the terrestrial part permeable, then you must find ways to prevent rodents to dig holes between inside and outside of the enclosure.

You may also prevent rain from falling into the enclosure but you'll have to check regularly if the environment is not too dry for the salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1