Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra atra atra

nikolaus

Reaction score
Hello,

Today I went out to try my camera (Nikon D50) in field.
And here is what I found:

Attachments

• atra1.jpg
    atra1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,344
  • atra2.jpg
    atra2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,581
  • atra3.jpg
    atra3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 788
  • atra4.jpg
    atra4.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 434

nikolaus

Reaction score
Hi,

I walked with my family in the alps (of course I wanted somewhere, were I could find something interesting for me).
I found them south of Vienna, this area is a very dynamic system, as the environment changes always when there is a storm or rockfall. I think the attached pictures will give you a nice impression.

Nikolaus

Attachments

• Bild 183b.jpg
    Bild 183b.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 403
  • Bild 191b.jpg
    Bild 191b.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 402
Last edited by a moderator:

tdimler

Reaction score
Nikolaus,

Thanks so much for the photos and trip account. I believe this is the first time I have seen photos of atra in the wild. What would you say that the temperatures were during your trip? It is interesting to me that these animals are so common in their range...considering their incredibly slow rate of reproduction.

Travis

nikolaus

Reaction score
Hi Travis,

Well, it was a quite warm day (about 25° C). After a short period of rain, it was very bright.
Personally, I think, that there are just a few predators (maybe birds?!) in the habitat. The primary danger for the animals is to fall off a precipice or to get stroken by falling stones. (That' s why the animals tend to climb as high as possible; mostly they are stopped then by a rock face).

As the populations are very big (on a rainy day you have to take care not to step on the salamanders!!!), you can find quite a big number of young salamanders. (This day we found 18 to 20 animals, whereof 10 were juveniles.)

Nikolaus

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1