Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra s. bejarae

iberian_guest

Reaction score
Close to the transition forms of fastuosa (of my last post) but in different kind of biotopes, lives the "pure" forms of bejarae, in mountains and karstic plateaus where the mediterranean influence is quite higher.

Attachments

• bejar4.jpg
    bejar4.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 612
  • bejar1.jpg
    bejar1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 475
  • bejar2.jpg
    bejar2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 479
  • bejar3.jpg
    bejar3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 536
  • bejar5.jpg
    bejar5.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 447
  • bejar6.jpg
    bejar6.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 508

tdimler

Reaction score
Ruben,

Thanks for posting all of your recent photos of salamandra and their habitat...keep them coming! I don't know that I have ever seen photos of adult bejarae. Does this animal typify adult coloration? Also, how large would you say they are on averege?

Travis

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful animals indeed. I´d swear i´ve been there Ô_o.
Out of curiosity, does the red coloration extend to all the populations of bejarae? I know that not all the individuals show it, but i wonder if you can find red in all or just selected populations.

iberian_guest

Reaction score
Bejarae is a big complex with so many varieties: In the mountains and plateaus of central Spain the typical pattern of bejarae consists in high density of small/rounded yellow dots... however in the southern slopes of the cantabrian mountains shows this nice pattern, that reminds me to S. s. gigliolii. The size is quite bigger than fastuosa (about 17/19 cm)

About the red colour, it is frequently present in bejarae, but not with the same proportion in all the populations: Close to the gallaica distribution area is very high, on the other hand, some populations of bejarae close to the almanzoris distribution area have not presence of red.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Than you for the info. I was about to comment the same..they do look like gigliolii in a way. I thought the same specially about the first and thirth individuals. btw, i sent you a private message, hope you don´t mind...

iberian_guest

Reaction score
I forgot it.... on the drinking trough were present too these friends...

Attachments

• alpestris1.jpg
    alpestris1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 416
  • alpestris2.jpg
    alpestris2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 391
  • marmoratus3.jpg
    marmoratus3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 611

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can´t imagine how much i like your posts hahaha
That´s got to be the most beautiful marmoratus i´ve ever seen (because that´s a marmoratus, right?)
such a beautiful laberynthic pattern. Nice cyreni too of course.
Can´t stop beholding that marm....just wow...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1