Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra s. salamandra habitat

J

juraj

An old beech tree forest
15236.jpg

with small open and closed springs
15237.jpg

15238.jpg

15239.jpg

and larvae inside
15240.jpg

P

paris

i wonder how the female was able to get in to lay them AND then how she got out?......

J

juraj

That`s a mystery. It`s about 1m deep and with 0,5m of water level. There are some larvae every year and never found an adult drowned. Also water is very cold and larvae spend there two three years until morphing.

P

pin-pin

amazing how they can survive in that condition! those are beautifully enlightening pictures.

M

mark

Nice pics Juraj.
Maybe the salamanders just drop the larvae on the edge and the larvae drop into the springs?????

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1