Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

sally and waterdog roomies

DmcCue

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I need some ideas as how to continue to care for our critters. We got two waterdogs (tiger salamanders I think) at the same time. Sally and Penelope.
After two weeks Sally started morphing and within a week has completed morphed into her Sally the Salamander self.. Penelope on the other hand has shown no signs of morphing and is starting to get a little aggressive towards Sally, especially at feeding time. Penelope is getting bigger than Sally too.
So heres my question(s), if and when Penelope morphs is she going to be bigger than Sally? is that going to cause problems later?
Theyre living together in a tote, half water, half dirt, but Sally doesn't spend much time in the dirt, which is weird to me too.
I do have a 40 gallon I plan on moving them both to when Penelope morphs.

help us out please! any ideas are appreciated!

D

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Are they the same species of tiger salamander? The ones that take longer to morph are generally found in bait shops. Has Sally been morphing yet? I suppose you could transition Penelope to the 40g separately from Sally.

DmcCue

Reaction score
Are they the same species of tiger salamander? The ones that take longer to morph are generally found in bait shops. Has Sally been morphing yet? I suppose you could transition Penelope to the 40g separately from Sally.
As far as I know they’re the same! We got them as bait, very popular thing to use here in AZ and I’m pretty sure the only species in AZ are tigers. I could be wrong tho! Sally is done with metamorphosis. And Penelope hasn’t started at all, but it’s weird bec she is the aggressive one. I think I might have to separate them tho, I really didn’t want to tho. Thank you for responding!

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
As far as I know they’re the same! We got them as bait, very popular thing to use here in AZ and I’m pretty sure the only species in AZ are tigers. I could be wrong tho! Sally is done with metamorphosis. And Penelope hasn’t started at all, but it’s weird bec she is the aggressive one. I think I might have to separate them tho, I really didn’t want to tho. Thank you for responding!
The California tiger salamander, the barred tiger salamander, and the plateau salamander all used to be considered subspecies of A. tigrinum but no longer are. I am likely thinking bait shops don't pay attention too much to species but more so to whether or not it makes good bait. You might be amused to read on this forum of an owner of an "axolotl" named Sebastian who came from a bait shop. Owner lived in Arizona too😂

Boy we're they surprised to see little Sebastian morph! I wonder how Sebastian is doing now.

DmcCue

Reaction score
The California tiger salamander, the barred tiger salamander, and the plateau salamander all used to be considered subspecies of A. tigrinum but no longer are. I am likely thinking bait shops don't pay attention too much to species but more so to whether or not it makes good bait. You might be amused to read on this forum of an owner of an "axolotl" named Sebastian who came from a bait shop. Owner lived in Arizona too😂

Boy we're they surprised to see little Sebastian morph! I wonder how Sebastian is doing now.
So it could be likely that I have a subspecies if any of those then. Whoa! Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!