Salt bath Picture Tutorial

Really well done - this step-by-step guide with illustrations will be so useful to many on here! Helps so much to have pictures to guide you through this daunting process. Thanks :D
(Fingers crossed that I never have to use this tutorial & my Axie stays healthy!)

Hey, this is a really helpful guide, thanks! just wondering what it is that causes fungus?Is it poor water quality? I'd like to prevent it from occuring in the first place, it sounds like a nightmare!

Thank you for posting this, Kaysie! It's really well done.

I have a question: How do Axolotls respond to the salt bath? Do they like it, not notice, or freak out? My little girl is currently in the fridge for that common white/grey fungus I've read about and I'd like to do the salt baths but I'm nervous that I'll burn her. If she looks agitated I might panic and take her out before the time is up. Haha, can you tell this is my first?

hey just thought i'd say thanks for the tutorial, It really helped me out. At first my axolotl found the salt bath uncomfortable but he got used to it. Strangely enough I put him in the fridge for another reason and when I took him out two days later he had fungus on his gills! sooo now have to start doing the salt baths which most of the fungus on his gills I just blew off with the ol trusty turkey baster ha. it's weird that he got fungus while in the fridge though. he didn't have it before i put him in the fridge. ??? who knows.

thanks for the tutorial again though

How should an axolotl act during/after a salt bath?

Since Axolotls are fresh water creatures does the salt water not harm them?, it would be the same as if humans breathed more carbon dioxide than they should and thats not good for us.
Its a sensible question to ask, whether salt is actually bad for them, breathing it, swallowing it, soaking into their skin etc...

Salt is harmful to axolotls. That's why salt baths are limited in duration and concentration. Limited exposure is more harmful to the fungus than it is to axolotl.

During a salt bath, you might see axolotls thrash about. Mine always just sit quietly though.

works on young axie fungi
:happy:

Last edited:
I must say Kaysie, I bet the Lasagne would of done the trick instantly! Looked mighty tasty. :rolleyes:

Anyway, really helpful thread. The amount of people you've stopped having an emotional breakdown about their Axie must feel great! Well done.

These tutorials are fantastic! I haven’t had to use the information yet but i am glad to say that if the need arises I won’t panic because I will know exactly what to do!

Thanks again for this tutorial !

At first I thought my axolotl had sand on her gill, but today it had turned into a white cotton puff, so she's now calmed down in a salt bath thanks to you. :)

Thank you for a very clear and erudite explanation of the salt bath process, I hope I dont need to use it but I am glad to know it is here if i am in need, and that it can help so man people.

you are a legend.

My male axolotl, Submarine, has a lesion on the inside of his cloaca, with some tissue hanging off it. I have no idea how he got the injury.
At first I thought it was a fungus so I started salt-bathing him, but on closer inspection I'm fairly certain that it's not a fungus. I'm on the second day of the salt-bathing and he doesn't seem to be healing.
Is a salt bath still a good treatment for the wound, or should I be doing something else?
(He really, really hates the salt baths)

Salt baths shouldn't be used on open wounds. That would irritate the tissue and inhibit healing. I imagine they probably also hurt. Ever gotten salt into a cut? Not fun.

In your case, I would think about using tea baths instead. You can find a basic outline here, about halfway down.

I am new to keeping axlotols and mine have a start of the white fungus; I have had them for less than a year and they are three different ages in separate tanks. I am planning to do the salt baths and really appreciate the info on this site. I will try the 10 minute salt bath and wonder if there is anything more I need to know. They all are eating and I wonder if the filter flow is causing the stress.

Hi guys I have a question regarding the salt bath treatment. After the treatment is finished, what is the best way to reintroduce them back into the tank? Do you get water from the tank and pour it into the dechlorinated tub?

Yesterday I was shocked to see one of my axolotl pups covered in fungus, after two short salt baths and leaving it in merely a cm of water (it won't move enough to breathe otherwise) most of it seems gone. This has been a life saver for my little golden baby, so glad I dare taking the risk.

The front legs are cured, the tail is almost, yet a red rash shows up now-any tips?
Poor little fellow was nearly dead and going stronger now. I'm so happy, beyond words.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics soon

thanks this is so useful! i am about to salt bath my axie fiyero, he has a fungy on this tail, is fridging nessacary with salt bathing??

Elphaba, I don't think salt baths will help in your case. Your axolotl appears to have exposed bone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back