Salt bath

so i have to mix 2 litre of water with 1 teaspoon salt and soak her in about 10 minutes is that right?

Kungfoi - Mix 2 teaspoons of salt in 2 liters of water soak twice a day for 10 min.

Yes the wound is very red inside - 2nd photos but it doesn't appear to be the same wound as in the 1 photos.
It's important to take Axy out of the tank & treat wounds such as these as soon as possible. He/she may have been hurt due to the sharp edges - pots?
I thought a salt bath may be too strong in salt content for the wound, Cynthia, which is why I wrote salt solution treatment instead... basically to help prevent infection setting in.

Ros - Sorry about that, indeed 1 teaspoon and 2 liters is a good place to start for the wound.

Kungfoi - Could the axolotl of cut itself on one of the tank decorations? Sometimes the openings have a sharp edge. You might want to run your finger around all the openings in your decorations and make sure there are no sharp edges.

Don't pick at that hanging skin let it fall off on its own.

The pictures look so different to me, in the one it looks like its tail is nearly cut in two and the other looks like just a piece of fin is missing. (Perhaps I really need to go get new glasses).

Kungfoi, I think I found what caused your Axie to hurt himself, but I might be wrong. I circled it in red.
41101.jpg

Could this possibly be it? Can you run your finger over it and tell if it is? It looks very sharp from the angle, and it also looks to be at the right angle that would make such a gut. My guess is that the Axolotl might have been spooked and dashed too quickly for cover inside of the decoration, thus cutting it's tail on the sharp edge. Please let us know, and if that is the case, you can try to sand the decoration a bit so that the edges wont be so rough. I really hope this helps.

I don't think you need new glasses Cynthia...
they are definately different wounds & I'm sure everyone would agree - that.

It's my fault for taking a different angler [first picture is top view and second is side view].
Yes the edge is very sharp and my dad sand it for me.
Ros and Cynthia thank you for your kind suggestion regards.

The wound seen on axie,( in the photo posted 7/8/05 ) looks different ( because it shows the skin was ripped or scraped ) compared to cut wound - axie in photo's posted 9/8/05. Do you have 2 injured axies Kungfoi?
Have you tried suggested treatment & have improvements been noticed?
It's best to check pots, plants, etc., that you might want to put in the tank for sharp or rough edges before placing them in the there.
I'm
happy.gif
your Dad could sand the sharp edges on the pot.
I'm also
happy.gif
to help.
Regards, Ros.

I have only 1 injured axy but second picture was taken 2 days after the first picture i think it's look different because she's getting better and her wound wasn't red as the first picture.
Now that hanging skin fall off and she's getting better thank you so much Ros.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back