Same room, different temperatures

J

jennifer

Here is a dramatic illustration of the fact that the temperature of water in an aquarium can be either higher or lower than the ambient air. There was a 6-degree F (about 3.5 degrees C) difference between the water in one tank versus the tub in the same room!

All three temperatures were measured with the same aquarium thermometer. I would like to repeat the measurements with a more accurate thermometer, if I can find one that works in both air and water.

Air temp = 71F (21.7C)
Tank temp = 74F (23.3C)
Tub temp = 68F (20.0C)

Here are photos of the tank and tub:

17001.jpg

17002.jpg

The relevant differences between the tank and tub:

glass lid versus open top
1 meter off the ground versus on the floor
canister filter versus air-driven filter

Moral of the story: if you really want a cool tank, put it on the floor, get a screen lid, and ditch the power filter!

LOL! Or you could put the tanks IN the bathtub!!!

I did notice that my tanks with internal powerfilters were warmer than the two with air pump driven filters. I really think I need to stop being so cheap and buy some truely silent air pumps.

Sharon

Sharon - I highly recommend Rena air pumps. They are about as close to silent as you can get.

Second Jenn's recommendation.
Also, I'm currently using a Rena airpump which is coming up for it's 40th birthday (although it hasn't been used continuously for that time) - pretty good going.
Do Rena make cars?
wink.gif

Hey! Great suggestion! I was figuring it would be another try and try again, product test thing!

Thanks!

Sharon

Sharon another way to silence the the pumps is to set them on carpet.It makes a huge difference.It is a must though that you use one of the anti-reverse flow valves on the line though.Other wise a power failure could cause a nice flood.

LOL! Thank goodness, my 1 1/2 yr daughter goes through shoes so quickly!

I put a thick pad of carpet on the bottom and put make-up foam wedges on the sides, this does keep them fairly quiet. But not enough!!! LOL!

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back