Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sampling for Amphibians in Streams in Oregon

Aneides

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I will be conducting surveys for amphibians in streams in Oregon some time in January, and I would like to know if anyone has experience conducting stream surveys in the Pacific Northwest. I will not be collecting specimens, or conducting environment disturbing surveys.
If you could answer the following questions, please, answer.
When I am going through lists of potential streams, what should I look for? (gradient, etc.)
What microhabitat parameters and specimen data should I collect?
Are there any protocols that you would suggest for me to follow?
Any other tips?

Aneides

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I guess that depends an awful lot on the weather, the mountain range, and the target species. It's been my experience that basically every stream of any gradient in the PNW mountains will have salamanders, sometimes several species either in or nearby. The highest gradients are home to Rhyacotriton and Ascaphus, Dicamptodon will occur throughout a system, Rana of several species and Pseudacris will be found in lower slower reaches, one or more Plethodon will occur along all but the slowest stretches. I've even found Ensatina more or less mid-stream under objects. Taricha will wander the margins of lower reaches. Ambystoma may occur nearby as well if streams feed into ponds or backwaters. Aneides and Batrachoseps are possible as well, and I found A.ferreus just upslope of a stream in Portland.

Reaction score
Frogeyes pretty much covered it. I live smack in the middle of the best herping county here as far as I'm concerned, but there are better places to collect Taricha and Chorus Frogs. Where were you planning to go?

Aneides

Reaction score
Thank you Frogeyes! That helped a lot! I will be north of Reedsport and south of Lincoln City, and I do not think this is too specific because I never specified that I had found any individuals of any species there. It is also a well known and obvious fact that many amphibian taxa occur there, and it is not a big suprise.

Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!