Sand (and to save on 2 post, introductions)

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
Firstly, I'm just wondering if anyone has found a decent way to empty all the sand from their tank whilst leaving as much water as possible in there? All I really have at my disposal is the usual household items and a turkey baster, which isn't proving that useful :( Getting some ice white sand on monday (fingers crossed) and want to get the brown sand out of my existing ones but there's still remnants I can't pick out by hand :(

Also, to save making two posts... I'm currently trying to introduce my wildtype, who is about 18 months i guess(?), had her for a year now, to my two new additions. They've been in quarantine for almost a month, no issues and figured whilst I'm trying to get rid of the sand from both tanks I'd put them all in a big tupperware tub to see what happens, other than one incident where Scylla mistook Hoshi's leg for yummy food, they seem OK but very stressed out. Hoshi has taken a liking to Scylla and keeps nuzzling into her and forcing himself under her whilst Scylla is swimming like a nutter into the sides and kicking them out of the way. I'm just wondering if plonking them into the fridge for a bit whilst they are all together would help?
My method of madness is they are still able to see and smell each other but are a lot more docile (and less stressed) due to the lower temp... Anyone know if that would work?

I think it'd be easier to put the water into seprate tubs / buckets + take out all the sand after, then put the water back in ;)

went with that in the end :) now have 2 empty tanks :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back