Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand in axolotl tank

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
my axie is nearly big enough for sand but I'm wondering what kind of sand to use-there are SO many options! I've heard that silica sand is good so I was looking at this one on amazon FairmountSantrol AquaQuartz-50 Pool Filter 20-Grade Silica Sand 50 Pounds, White or this one CaribSea Super Naturals Aquarium Sand from Petco. wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these and if they're any good. Basically want to make sure this stuff is super fine so my axie doesn't get injured. Any specific things to look for in sand that are beneficial or things that could be harmful? I'll take any and all the information I can possibly get!!
Thank you!

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I don't have any specific advice on types of sand (sorry) but I did want to insert a quick reminder for you or anyone else who might be looking at this later that it is VERY important to thoroughly rinse all of the super fine particles out of your sand before adding it in or else you will end up with a very cloudy tank 😁

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
I prefer bare bottom but as stated above make sure you was the sand out really good.
Can I ask why you opted for bare bottom?
I only ask because my goal is to be able to have a few plants growing on the bottom of the tank eventually (dwarf hairgrass and that sort of thing) so I figured sand would be the best option to grow this in. I do know sand can cause problems for axolotls if their food is buried in the sand, so I plan to hand feed and/or provide a feeding dish.
So I'd love to know your reason for choosing bare bottom. Thanks!

BrandonGreyHasAxies

Reaction score
my axie is nearly big enough for sand but I'm wondering what kind of sand to use-there are SO many options! I've heard that silica sand is good so I was looking at this one on amazon FairmountSantrol AquaQuartz-50 Pool Filter 20-Grade Silica Sand 50 Pounds, White or this one CaribSea Super Naturals Aquarium Sand from Petco. wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these and if they're any good. Basically want to make sure this stuff is super fine so my axie doesn't get injured. Any specific things to look for in sand that are beneficial or things that could be harmful? I'll take any and all the information I can possibly get!!
Thank you!
We have two axolotls, a melanoid and a standard but we have sand in our tank and they do perfectly fine, sand is really only a problem if it gets on your axie's food.

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
Can I ask why you opted for bare bottom?
I only ask because my goal is to be able to have a few plants growing on the bottom of the tank eventually (dwarf hairgrass and that sort of thing) so I figured sand would be the best option to grow this in. I do know sand can cause problems for axolotls if their food is buried in the sand, so I plan to hand feed and/or provide a feeding dish.
So I'd love to know your reason for choosing bare bottom. Thanks!
I opted for a bare bottom because it's easier to clean the tank. I believe there isn't a problem with sand but to ensure my axolots tank is perfectly clean I have a bare bottom. I have hides and fake plants but for me the whole cleaning sand would take me forever especially since I have 8 axolotls. Good luck to you and the axolotls and just make sure to clean the sand out really well to ensure the water quality.

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
Okay! Thank you all for your responses! With all the info I have now I'll probably opt to go bare bottom. Thank you!! 🥰

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I also do barebottom and am working on adding some real plants that don't need substrate (and can also tolerate the light and temperature needs of axolotls) such as java fern

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1