Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand or Rocks?

MichaelC95

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new axies and was just wondering for my tank, is it better to get play sand or large river type rocks. I know gravel can be dangerous to their health. Any opinions would be great I just want to know if anyone has preferences.
Thanks

Some people feel that bare bottomed tanks are best. They are easy to maintain.

Between sand and large rocks, i prefer sand. With rocks i find detritus tend to accumulate between the crevices and its quite a hassle trying to remove them. With sand, you can still use a gravel siphon to remove most detritus.

I got my tank and everything needed with it.

The person I bought it off worked for a company who supplys stuff to stores.

So I ordered gravel and he assured me he would get the right size as he knows what axolotls are etc.

However the gravel is roughly thumbnail size. I'm worried this may still be too small?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people feel that bare bottomed tanks are best. They are easy to maintain.

Between sand and large rocks, i prefer sand. With rocks i find detritus tend to accumulate between the crevices and its quite a hassle trying to remove them. With sand, you can still use a gravel siphon to remove most detritus.

Thanks I think I might get sand after reading this. Play sand is the best type I heard, is this right? I also thought about having a large river rock in the tank as a resting or breeding platform for the male.

Kaylalouise - The 'thumbnail sized' gravel is still of an inappropriate size. In fact, its the riskiest size. WIth substrate for axies, best to stick with sand or gravel less than 2mm in diameter.

MichaelC95 - Yeps, you can use children play sand, pool filter sand, freshwater aquarium sand. A single large rock can be a visually stunning centrepiece and yet still easy to maintain.

The rock rule to follow with axolotls and other large aquatic caudates is that each stone must be bigger than the animal's head.

Personally, in the case of aquatic Ambystomids a slate bottomed tank or a bare floored tank is a much safer, easier to maintain solution.

Have a go at this article. It will tell you everything you never wanted to know about aquatic substrates.

If you slope your sand and inch from the back to the front of the tank you will find that alot of the detritus will settle in the font of the tanks making it easier to remove. Large gravel that is able to be swollowed is the most dangerous because it is impossible for your axie to pass it though its digestive system.

Thanks guys I'll post the tank in a few weeks once I get everything done and tell me what you think

Thats what I thought.

I'm thinking I will just have to try and sell it on eBay. I have two large containers full- I think like 12kgs of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1