Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Santa Fe axies & larva rearing

J

jennifer

Here are photos I took today at the axolotl colony in Santa Fe. Two are photos of Elisheba's larva-rearing devices, and then photos of a golden albino and melanoid she had there.

28777.jpg

28778.jpg

28779.jpg

28780.jpg

C

cynthia

Thank you for posting that picture, it looks like a great time and larva saver.

(Message edited by cynorita on January 05, 2005)

(Message edited by cynorita on January 05, 2005)

P

pamela

Man, that looks like a lot of work - all those little cups!
happy.gif

H

heather

It looks like it took a while to make! but if it works im willing to give it a try!

E

elisheba

it did take a time investment, but i expect it to pay off in water changes and feeding- i can tell exactly who has been fed and who hasn't, monitor growth/disease... and i expect these to last through multiple hatches. Thanks Jenny for posting the pics- they turned out pretty well!

C

carl

are you holding that axie under water because i didnt no you could handle axies out of water with them being aquatic and thats a very cool setup hope it works

J

jenny

you shouldnt really handle axies out of water but they are okay out of water for a while. i had an incident a few weeks back where (i think) my cats had knocked over the plastic tank on a shelf my small axie was being kept in and when one of my house mates got up in the morning he saw the tank and my small axie had crawled into a turned over paper bin which was on the floor. he was a bit disturbed but was fine a few hours later. not sure how long he had been there for but he was def out of water and hadnt died!

but im not incouraging you to take yours out.

If you look at the axies gills they are not flat against his/her head so she is most probably in water.

J

jennifer

The axolotl shown "in-hand" was indeed completely under water at the time. He was being held in place against the glass (gently) so that I could get his picture.

M

mik

Interesting piccys... may have to give taht a go next time i have hatchlings.

P

pin-pin

Really interesting Mrs. Macke!
happy.gif
Now if they could only get an automated pipette to feed all those little guys at once....

(Message edited by apples on January 06, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!