Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Seeking <i>Protohynobius</i> description paper

J

joonas

Does anyone have access to original paper describing genus Protohynobius: Fei L, Ye C. 2000. A new hynobiid subfamily with a new genus and new species of Hynobiidae (Amphibia: Caudata) from West China. Cultum Herpetol. Sinica 8: 64-70.

If someone could send me a PDF (or other digital) copy of it, I would highly appreciate it. My e-mail is joonas@sammakkolampi.net.
Or if only paper versions are available, I'm specially interested on etymology on the name Protohynobius. Why it is called just Protohynobius? There on the original paper should be some explanation for the name.

wouter

Reaction score
I think I've got a pdf of that article Joonas... I'll look it up for you.

J

joonas

It was not the paper I'm looking for
sad.gif
Wouter mixed it with something else. So if anyone happen to have copy of that Protohynobius paper, Im still interested.

H

houmian

In Chinese meaning Protohynobius is primordial salamander, Proto is from archaic language of Greece ,derivation word is "pr¨­tos".

J

joonas

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting HouMian on Friday 08 September 2006 - 05:16 (#POST105529):</font>

In Chinese meaning Protohynobius is primordial salamander<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Thanks for this info. I'm still wondering why? Why is this genus called primordial salamanders? There must be some reason.

J

joonas

I'm now (partly) answering to my own question: Paper can be found at http://texas.amphibiatree.org/?q=node/232 (See zip file at the bottom of the page.)
It is mostly Chinese, with only short English summary.

If someone is able to read the paper, and finds out why genus is called Protohynobius, I'm still interested.

(Message edited by Joonas on November 13, 2006)

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Joonas.

I'm told by an amphibian researcher that it may be because the bone structure of this species appears to be of ancient lineage. Let's see what the description paper has to say
wink.gif

(Message edited by TJ on November 14, 2006)

H

houmian

Joonas, the key of you want is this species have a especial frame of it's head bone, a internasal between in right-and-left nasal, this characteristic always only known from fossil species when they found this guy. And except this species all about another living species have not this character, so author believe this character is primordial and naming"pr¨­tos".

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Re: Seeking <i>Protohynobius</i> description paper

And five years later...

I could use the original description as well. I have the 2011 paper redescribing the species as Pseudohynobius puxiongensis. While the original name was given because of bone structures considered ancestral in salamanders, it is now believed that the trait is variable and the animal it was applied to was unusual for the species. I hope to have the 2010 paper on the rediscovery of the species shortly.

FrogEyes

Reaction score

I hope to have the 2010 paper on the rediscovery of the species shortly.
Awesome! Just got it. Now just hoping for the original description, while waiting on descriptions of P.shuichengensis and P.guizhouensis.

FrogEyes

Reaction score

Incidentally...ths species was relocated. The internasal bone is considered an anomally, and the species was transfered to Pseudohynobius. Neither Protohynobius nor Protohynobiinae are considered valid now. I believe the internasal has also been found in some Hynobius specimens as well [yes - H.maoershanensis].

http://elab.sysu.edu.cn/elab/wp-con...n-based-on-complete-mitochondrial-genomes.pdf

ahr

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!