Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Seeking Recommendations

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I finally have my axolotl's tank back to perfect water quality but I am concerned about it possibly becoming an issue again. My mom's cat fell in the tank one night due to a fight he had with my mom's puppy. That completely destroyed the water quality for like 4 days, even after a 5 gallon change. Tank is 20 gallons, for reference.

I got the API Fresh water master kit, did some tests, everything was good but the only thing that concerns me, and this is my thesis question, so I will say it like this...

'is there a way to reduce ammonia, nitrites and nitrates quickly if there was an emergency like that?'

The kit I have recommends two things, API Aqua-Detox, and Nitra-zorb. I went to 4 different pet stores today, none had it and one pet store employee recommended API Stress Coat instead. I have a pH regulating substance that I can add, works fine, doesn't upset my girl, but I would sleep a lot better at night, or go to work for 12 hours and not worry about my girl if I knew I had a means to quickly, and safely, reduce the bad chemicals. Like I said, the tests are all reading the same now, all good, ammonia is 0, nitrites is 0, and nitrates were like 40-45, and I know axolotls need somewhere between 20 and 60.

If anyone has any experience with these products first hand, please let me know. If anyone has any recommendations on dealing with these issues beyond "just do a quick water change", I would appreciate it. I can't always do one when I'm not home and when my mom's stupid quadrupeds are in the way. I had to put both the cat and the dog outside to change my axolotl's tank. Not an easy task to do considering they hate each other and the cat is quite fast.

On the bright side, my axolotl is very happy, she's enjoying her nice clean tank, be exploring. We got a charcoal filter attachment and I was to fit it onto her sponge filter and she actually seems to really like it. Doesn't produce a ton of bubbles and she was curious enough to go up and observe it. She's eating fine, using the bathroom fine. All is well, just would like to have the means to solve an emergency if it came about.

Thank you again.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Ok

I do not use stress coat due to the aloe but do use Seachem Neutral Regulator as our tap water can be difficult at times. As well as Seachem Prime and Safe.

In a huge emergency I dose 5 x the Prime or Safe for the tank and it will keep the ammonia nitrite and nitrate bound for 24 hours in which time things need to be resolved.

I have heard amazing things about Tetra Safestart plus for rapid cycling and/or resolving mini crashes. I have not tested it yet but may. I have already confirmed with the company no Aloe is added.

Because axos are cold water the effects of the ammonia nitrite and nitrate are amplified whereas most tropicals can handle it better. I found a few scientific papers at 1 point and had a deep read.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Oh, I saw those at the aquarium store today! I will go pick them up tomorrow. Thank you. I just want to have them in case anything goes wrong. Thank you for the recommendation.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Well, I got her tank all clean, all her readings were good, except nitrates, 40. So I took that Seachem Prime and added just 2 drops to her tank to see how it works. I will do another water change maybe on Thursday, and pre-treat that water. My mom's stupid dog ate my axolotl's food so I had to get a crummy substitute and she didn't like it so a lot of the food sat in the tank while I was at work. Her actual food arrived in the mail today and she ate it all with vigor. She's now swimming around her nice cool tank. She's been a bit more active than usual, so I hope she's just happy that her tank is cool and that she's been fed properly.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Why did you add Prime?
To bind the Nitrate? If so you need to add a full to over dose for the volume and it only lasts 24 hours per dose.

Well, I got her tank all clean, all her readings were good, except nitrates, 40. So I took that Seachem Prime and added just 2 drops to her tank to see how it works. I will do another water change maybe on Thursday, and pre-treat that water. My mom's stupid dog ate my axolotl's food so I had to get a crummy substitute and she didn't like it so a lot of the food sat in the tank while I was at work. Her actual food arrived in the mail today and she ate it all with vigor. She's now swimming around her nice cool tank. She's been a bit more active than usual, so I hope she's just happy that her tank is cool and that she's been fed properly.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
What does bind the nitrate mean? If you mean reduce, then yes. Also, you say add a full to over dose, what? Syntax and diction here is quite confusing.

My dad and I got it, he said since my axolotl's tank was at 40 nitrates, he said "it says add 2 drops per gallon, let's just add 2 and see if it even makes a difference or if it bothers the axolotl." I was nervous, he tried it. She's good so far. Added it around 9ish. She's in her night time spot, swimming around. I fed her a lot today but she didn't get any food at all yesterday because I had to stay at work another 2 hours due to my backup not coming in at all. Was supposed to feed her but, you know.

Again, 'need to add a full to over dose for the volume', you need to add a full dosage of the chemical, meaning 2 drops per gallon, it's a 20 gallon tank, ergo 40 drops, or even do an overdosing of the chemical. Is that what you meant to say? And if bind is the verb for reducing a nitrate, I did not know that.

You mentioned it only lasts for 24 hours, I am assuming the Seachem Prime only lasts for 24 hours and then the nitrates will return to what they were? I just changed her tank on...Saturday or Sunday, before work. Is Seachem Prime meant to be added regularly, like habitually? Ammonia levels were super low, nitrites were 0 again, and pH was like 7.3ish, wasn't 7, was not 7.5, in between.

This is also the first weekend we've had in like 4 weeks that the temp in the house got below 80, so her tank is down to like 62 degrees, as of the sun going down, so I think she's doing fine. Just wish I wasn't away from her for too long.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
It does not reduce the nitrates. It binds it from being free and affecting the inhabitants for 24 hours.
The binding only lasts 24 hours then it is able to affect them again. with 2 drops it literally did nothing.
For 20g you need to add a minimum of 2mL up to 10mL to bind the nitrate for 24 hours.
The only way to reduce Nitrates are plants using it as food and mechanical so water changes. a 50% water change would reduce the level by half so down to 20ppm and 75% would reduce by 3/4 so down to 10ppm.

Prime removes chlorine and chloramine permanently which is why we add it for the water we add to a tank, it detoxifies heavy metals which then are removed during regular water changes and helps slime coat without aloe. It can bind Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate for 24 hours by dosing up to 5 times the tank volume. It is only to be used in an emergency not as a daily or long term option. This is a temporary result.
Prime does not reduce or remove ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.
Bind is a verb.

Some of use this method if we find a spike and cannot get to a water change ASAP due to work, emergency, tap water issues etc. but never for more than a day or 2 generally.

No prime should only be added to new water to treat it and only in an emergency for a spike until cycle can be sorted out or water change done.

She will be loving that temperature it helps them heal!!

I hope that helped explain what Prime does.

What does bind the nitrate mean? If you mean reduce, then yes. Also, you say add a full to over dose, what? Syntax and diction here is quite confusing.

My dad and I got it, he said since my axolotl's tank was at 40 nitrates, he said "it says add 2 drops per gallon, let's just add 2 and see if it even makes a difference or if it bothers the axolotl." I was nervous, he tried it. She's good so far. Added it around 9ish. She's in her night time spot, swimming around. I fed her a lot today but she didn't get any food at all yesterday because I had to stay at work another 2 hours due to my backup not coming in at all. Was supposed to feed her but, you know.

Again, 'need to add a full to over dose for the volume', you need to add a full dosage of the chemical, meaning 2 drops per gallon, it's a 20 gallon tank, ergo 40 drops, or even do an overdosing of the chemical. Is that what you meant to say? And if bind is the verb for reducing a nitrate, I did not know that.

You mentioned it only lasts for 24 hours, I am assuming the Seachem Prime only lasts for 24 hours and then the nitrates will return to what they were? I just changed her tank on...Saturday or Sunday, before work. Is Seachem Prime meant to be added regularly, like habitually? Ammonia levels were super low, nitrites were 0 again, and pH was like 7.3ish, wasn't 7, was not 7.5, in between.

This is also the first weekend we've had in like 4 weeks that the temp in the house got below 80, so her tank is down to like 62 degrees, as of the sun going down, so I think she's doing fine. Just wish I wasn't away from her for too long.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Yes, that does clear things up. Question, would a second sponge filter up clear up the nitrates? You mentioned mechanical, and mentioned the water change. Nitrates removal by the fact that water is removed and replaced.

Is it possible that the water we're using for her tank already has nitrates in it? The water is from the tap, we let it see for 2 days, my dad dechlorinates it with something, I forget its name, but he needs to do it for the caiman and turtles. Then I take what water I need for my axolotl and put it in the fridge, when changing day comes, take it out, wait till the thermometer reads like 60 degrees, slowly add a little. But again, I know she's an amphibian and my dad's niche is reptiles so he admits he has no experience with amphibians, hence his suggestion to look online, finding this forum.

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe Wednesday I will do a partial change again, I have a doctors appointment so I'm off from work. Maybe I will take advantage of that.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Nitrates are only lowered with water changes or plants no other way. if you are at 40ppm or higher I recommend a 75% water change.

Yes it is possible your tap water has a small amount but unlikely

You need to know what he is treating the water with.
Prime is the only thing you need to treat the water with out of the tap, other treatments could be causing an issue.
With Prime water can go from a faucet right into the tank without sitting for any time. I use my washer cold water tap as its the coldest water I can get.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Yeah, you need to make sure he is using Prime to treat tap water before adding it to the tank. People often buy other water treatments thinking they all do the same thing (remove chlorine and chloramine) when they don't.

I was recently at my brother's house and saw that he was using a nitrate treatment as dechlorinator for a 30-gallon fish tank that had ich and multiple fish deaths. I told him he needed to use Prime.

Please check, and good luck.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Yup common error using a beneficial bacteria, stresscoat, other treatment as a dechlorinator.
Its so sad

Yeah, you need to make sure he is using Prime to treat tap water before adding it to the tank. People often buy other water treatments thinking they all do the same thing (remove chlorine and chloramine) when they don't.

I was recently at my brother's house and saw that he was using a nitrate treatment as dechlorinator for a 30-gallon fish tank that had ich and multiple fish deaths. I told him he needed to use Prime.

Please check, and good luck.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
It sounds like your having a lot of trouble with your moms pets. I would move your lotl to your basement or keep your axolotl somewhere with the door always closed. It’s probably stressful with all your moms pets doing stuff to his/her tank

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I finally have my axolotl's tank back to perfect water quality but I am concerned about it possibly becoming an issue again. My mom's cat fell in the tank one night due to a fight he had with my mom's puppy. That completely destroyed the water quality for like 4 days, even after a 5 gallon change. Tank is 20 gallons, for reference.

I got the API Fresh water master kit, did some tests, everything was good but the only thing that concerns me, and this is my thesis question, so I will say it like this...

'is there a way to reduce ammonia, nitrites and nitrates quickly if there was an emergency like that?'

The kit I have recommends two things, API Aqua-Detox, and Nitra-zorb. I went to 4 different pet stores today, none had it and one pet store employee recommended API Stress Coat instead. I have a pH regulating substance that I can add, works fine, doesn't upset my girl, but I would sleep a lot better at night, or go to work for 12 hours and not worry about my girl if I knew I had a means to quickly, and safely, reduce the bad chemicals. Like I said, the tests are all reading the same now, all good, ammonia is 0, nitrites is 0, and nitrates were like 40-45, and I know axolotls need somewhere between 20 and 60.

If anyone has any experience with these products first hand, please let me know. If anyone has any recommendations on dealing with these issues beyond "just do a quick water change", I would appreciate it. I can't always do one when I'm not home and when my mom's stupid quadrupeds are in the way. I had to put both the cat and the dog outside to change my axolotl's tank. Not an easy task to do considering they hate each other and the cat is quite fast.

On the bright side, my axolotl is very happy, she's enjoying her nice clean tank, be exploring. We got a charcoal filter attachment and I was to fit it onto her sponge filter and she actually seems to really like it. Doesn't produce a ton of bubbles and she was curious enough to go up and observe it. She's eating fine, using the bathroom fine. All is well, just would like to have the means to solve an emergency if it came about.

Thank you again.
I would recommend using prime, which I know a lot of people recommended already. I’ve used stress coat for a while with no problems, but a lot of axolotls are deathly allergic to the aloe in it, so I wouldn’t risk that. I did put of lack of knowledge, and thank goodness it doesn’t affect my girl.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
With regards to moving my axolotl, our basement is very unsafe. It gets unbearably hot in the summer and super cold in the winter, plus the cats have free roam. If we had AC in my house, I would have her in my room but instead, I have her in the safest and coldest area possible without putting her in a situation that's not optimal. My room gets full sun shine all day and easily gets above 80 degrees. And thank you for mentioning not to use Stress Coat, I appreciate it.

She had a good water change the other day, levels are good. I have a few random questions though, and the first one is...

1) does a second sponge filter help at all with maintain tank stats? I bought her a backup one recently but I noticed the aquarium store sells these teeny, 3.99, triangular shaped sponge filters that fit in the corners of a tank. They say they're only good for 10 gallon tanks but she has a full sized sponge filter now good for 75 gallons. Would getting that small sponge one be a waste of money and time or would that help?

We tried an air stone and she really didn't like it. Too many bubbles.

Second question, 2) can axolotls choke on food? I mean, clearly, yes, but how common is it? My goofy girl ate a worm at a really awkward angle so she released it and then sucked it back in appropriately. She wasn't choking was she? She just, like, knew she couldn't swallow it at the angle she had it, right? The bottom of her tank is lined with ultra fine sand. I'm just curious, of all the times I've fed her, she's never done that but she also usually doesn't miss. The puppy barking at my while trying to feed her caused me to drop the worm in at a less than optimal location.

Other than that, since the heatwave broke, I can keep her tank super cool and she's so happy, she's swimming around and hiding in all her goofy spots.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Glad things seem stable now.

Do not waste your money on a tiny sponge filter - I have multiple and I clean them on alternating months but always upsize for your tank size.

They can have issues swallowing but I dont know choking on a worm is the right term. But yes they can have a misswallow of sorts and regurgitate. They can also have worms come out their gills - looks scary but its fine

With regards to moving my axolotl, our basement is very unsafe. It gets unbearably hot in the summer and super cold in the winter, plus the cats have free roam. If we had AC in my house, I would have her in my room but instead, I have her in the safest and coldest area possible without putting her in a situation that's not optimal. My room gets full sun shine all day and easily gets above 80 degrees. And thank you for mentioning not to use Stress Coat, I appreciate it.

She had a good water change the other day, levels are good. I have a few random questions though, and the first one is...

1) does a second sponge filter help at all with maintain tank stats? I bought her a backup one recently but I noticed the aquarium store sells these teeny, 3.99, triangular shaped sponge filters that fit in the corners of a tank. They say they're only good for 10 gallon tanks but she has a full sized sponge filter now good for 75 gallons. Would getting that small sponge one be a waste of money and time or would that help?

We tried an air stone and she really didn't like it. Too many bubbles.

Second question, 2) can axolotls choke on food? I mean, clearly, yes, but how common is it? My goofy girl ate a worm at a really awkward angle so she released it and then sucked it back in appropriately. She wasn't choking was she? She just, like, knew she couldn't swallow it at the angle she had it, right? The bottom of her tank is lined with ultra fine sand. I'm just curious, of all the times I've fed her, she's never done that but she also usually doesn't miss. The puppy barking at my while trying to feed her caused me to drop the worm in at a less than optimal location.

Other than that, since the heatwave broke, I can keep her tank super cool and she's so happy, she's swimming around and hiding in all her goofy spots.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Ok, cool, thank you. I just switched out her old filter for her brand new one. We were doing good all day, temp at like 61, then idk what happened, it got up to 68, I had to use all my ice packs and everything. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

So plants, I am looking into getting some. How do they like, survive? She lives in a dark room, so sun isn't gonna help the plants, and I have sand, a lot of ultra fine sand at the bottom of her tank. Do the plants need to be anchored? What are good species of plants to use? I'm going to the aquarium store tomorrow after my doctor's appointment so if possible, can you give me some names to jot down and show the people what I'm looking for.

Thanks again. Everyone's been so helpful, especially after the whole debacle with the cat in the tank.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
You swapped filters completely ? no using the old sponge or anything?
If you just did a new filter you are cycling your tank again.

Anubias is about the only low to no light plants with no ferts added. it is a rhizome so attach to something do not bury

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
The old sponge was very worn out, it was starting to fray, I didn't want to wait any longer. And yeah, I know it's gotta cycle again. I had to clean her tank today anyways, so I figured, just do it now and work through it. I'll be home a lot more again since work is kinda just not happening. The filter's instruction say it will take like 30 days for it to reach maximum ability and that's ok, we have plenty of back up water, already treated. I think cleaning her tank more often is helping overall too. I did her nitrate test today, it was like 20 or 25, so that's good, right? All her other numbers, including pH were perfect. I just want her to have a good quality of life and I inherited her RIGHT when the pandemic started so it was just like 2-3 months of like just trying to keep her healthy and alive long enough to get her a new tank, she needed the new filter desperately, etc. She's gone through quite a bit but she seems to be more resilient than I give her credit for.

Ok, so Anubias, when you say attach it to something, you mean it latches onto something, like say her drift wood? Like how a creeping vine flower would do to a building? What about plants that float on the top? Now, to my knowledge, since she was purchased in 2018, she has never been exposed to live plants. I don't remember where my friend bought her from, all I remember is getting a text telling me to come over and the tank was all ready and this 3 inch goofy thing is swimming around. She won't freak out or attack the plants, will she? She's very inquisitive, when I clean her tank, she sometimes comes to the surface to just float and watch. She also follows me back and forth a lot but that behavior is not unlike our caiman soooo, I am assuming she's lookin for a meal.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
The old sponge was very worn out, it was starting to fray, I didn't want to wait any longer. And yeah, I know it's gotta cycle again. I had to clean her tank today anyways, so I figured, just do it now and work through it. I'll be home a lot more again since work is kinda just not happening. The filter's instruction say it will take like 30 days for it to reach maximum ability and that's ok, we have plenty of back up water, already treated. I think cleaning her tank more often is helping overall too. I did her nitrate test today, it was like 20 or 25, so that's good, right? All her other numbers, including pH were perfect. I just want her to have a good quality of life and I inherited her RIGHT when the pandemic started so it was just like 2-3 months of like just trying to keep her healthy and alive long enough to get her a new tank, she needed the new filter desperately, etc. She's gone through quite a bit but she seems to be more resilient than I give her credit for.

Ok, so Anubias, when you say attach it to something, you mean it latches onto something, like say her drift wood? Like how a creeping vine flower would do to a building? What about plants that float on the top? Now, to my knowledge, since she was purchased in 2018, she has never been exposed to live plants. I don't remember where my friend bought her from, all I remember is getting a text telling me to come over and the tank was all ready and this 3 inch goofy thing is swimming around. She won't freak out or attack the plants, will she? She's very inquisitive, when I clean her tank, she sometimes comes to the surface to just float and watch. She also follows me back and forth a lot but that behavior is not unlike our caiman soooo, I am assuming she's lookin for a meal.
If your cycling your tank again, you NEED to take her out. I don’t know if u did or not, but if u didn’t u absolutely need to. Tub her with 100% fresh water changes everyday and clean the tub with hot water until her tank is cycled.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!