Separated, but Still Laying?

Shaxx_on_a_Sax

Reaction score
Country
United States
So a weird thing is going on. My two axos laid eggs back in June, and I had to put the female in a tub so she could lay the rest of her eggs and recover in peace. I introduced them back together a month ago (albeit separated by a plexiglass barrier), but I've been noticing that she's been laying eggs periodically over the last few weeks. The batches aren't huge (maybe 6 or 10 at a time) but I'm a little worried that she keeps popping them out periodically. She did this once when she was alone in her tub maybe a month after she laid her first batch as well.

I'm guessing this isn't normal after she laid 150+ eggs back in June. Does anyone know what's going on? Like I mentioned before, there's now a plexiglass divider between the two of them with some holes in it for water flow. However I am going to silicone a plastic mesh over the holes in case they're forcing spermataphores through the tiny holes somehow.

TL;DR: Axolotl laid eggs back in June, but she still lays small clutches here and there even after she's been separated from the male. What's going on?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back