Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Serra de Arrabida & larvae

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Serra de Arrabida fire salamander female and larvae. Larvae dropped 10 8 2014

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 674
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 426

Bette

Reaction score
That is so amazing! I didn't realize that they give birth to larval stage young with all four legs! Nice pictures. Will the parents eat the young if you keep them together after birth?

otolith

Reaction score
Wow! Are these my old group? They all look great.

michael

Reaction score
The parents don't seem prone to eating the young but I remove them quickly. They are a group from Steve S. One from your group looks like it could be gravid.

sde

Reaction score
That is so amazing! I didn't realize that they give birth to larval stage young with all four legs! Nice pictures. Will the parents eat the young if you keep them together after birth?

Some species of Salamandra even lay metamorphs, no joke.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
The whole idea is fascinating, larvae can be deposited up to nine months after fertilisation. A real interesting species which I plan to add to my outdoor vivarium.

Stuart

michael

Reaction score
Some species of Salamandra even lay metamorphs, no joke.

Seth is right. I'm not sure I would explain it that way. I'd say more like drop or birth non gilled juveniles.
In my experience the non gilled juveniles are a little more work to raise. The non gilled juveniles need small food on land. The gilled larvae can start on black worms right away.

I'm keen on obtaining some fastuosa or bernardezi. I'm currently obsessed with fire salamanders.

sde

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would explain it that way. I'd say more like drop or birth non gilled juveniles.

I was wondering how I should fraise it, metamorph is the best I could think of, but non gilled juvenile is better. And birth is better also. Thanks for that correction.

benw

Reaction score
there are many sub species that give birth to fully formed young, including very local populations

tdimler

Reaction score
Nice work Michael. I quite keeping my Arrabida pairs together because the were too prolific!

TD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1