Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setting up aquaterrarium for T.verrucosus

Fluu

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm in need of some help.
I've been wanting to set up an nice home for a Tylototrito.verrucosus, which I'm going to take over from a friend of mine.I've had some idea's about how to begin and what to make exactly, but it's just that I don't know for sure which materials are suited to use in an aquarium, and which materials should be avoided/first washed several times.

The Tylo is a darker variant, and according to this website would need more water then one of the other 2 variants of this species. I have a 60x30x30 aquarium and was thinking about making a 1/3 "land" area and 2/3 water area. I thought about making the land area out of foam plates or/and polyurethene foam and finishing this with a layer of terracotta coloured epoxy or tile adhesative/fixative (sorry don't know the translation, In the netherlands it's called Tegel lijm). To fix it to the window I thought about just using "Bison silicone kit" for glass. Maybe, if I manage to, even build a flexible tube through which water can flow from on top of the island to the water.

I really don't know yet if this is all possible, or about how to undertake such a thing.
But up untill now what do you think, :) is this a good idea or should I be carefull with some of these materials? And of course the second thing is: where would I get all this material and which brands are advised. Do people have good experiences with some of this stuff?

Thanks alot,

Sjors

Niels D

Reaction score
You can use "tegellijm" (grout) in combination with an epoxy sealant. I use that method for backgrounds. I would use a sealant (for your window) which is suitable for the use in an aquarium. You can buy such sealants (aqurariumkit) at "Hornbach". Good luck with your beasties. I don't know if you allready have newts, but beware that keeping them can be a real addiction. Soon you'll be ranting "Want more newts" in your sleep.

Don't forget there's a newt association in The Netherlands. Look for more information Salamanders - De Nederlandse Salamander Site .

Fluu

Reaction score
Thank you Niels!
You're talking about using tegellijm in combination with epoxy. Do you know how to apply them both, do you need to apply different layers, or mix it together beforehand or something else?
Also, I don't really know if it's possible to use the Polyurethane foam (in spraying cans), but the foam plates alot of other people use only come in packages of 2m by 40x40cm where I'm able to buy them. So I'll only use those if I can find a more suitable size.
Furthermore, do I just use normal paint for colouring the island and how long do I dry/wash all layers before using and cycling the aquarium part?

As for the rest...yeah you got me! I also got a little axolotl called Azuu, which is now happily looking at me from behind the glass.

@ otterwomen:
nice Caudateria ;), I really like your closeness and companionship with your tylo's. It's really cute! You seem to take really good care of them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!