Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setup questions

efs710920mex

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 10 gal tank with 2 juvenile axolotls and this setup.
IMG-20201202-122646266.jpg

I wonder if I can use DIY CO2 to help the plants grow.

Light is aprox 600 lumen at the surface of the water. It's been a week now with this setup but the filter has been working for almost a year now, so it's completely cycled.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

minorhero

Reaction score
Given what I'm seeing I can virtually gurantee that light is not powerful enough to warrant CO2. You might want to move it closer. That alone would help the plants.

efs710920mex

Reaction score
The light can give around 3000 lumen but I worry about the axolotls since it's too much light for them. I wondered if using CO2 would help the plants a little.

minorhero

Reaction score
The light can give around 3000 lumen but I worry about the axolotls since it's too much light for them. I wondered if using CO2 would help the plants a little.

I am guessing you mean 3000k not 3000 lumen. It would take some very powerful LEDs to produce 3,000 lumen in a size that small. Not impossible but highly improbable given the rest of the lights appearance. Do you have a link to the light description?

efs710920mex

Reaction score
I measure the lumens with the phone and that's the reading at 20cm of the surface, it's made of two lamps but I don't know the temperature. The lamp is for hydroponics.

minorhero

Reaction score
I measure the lumens with the phone and that's the reading at 20cm of the surface, it's made of two lamps but I don't know the temperature. The lamp is for hydroponics.
Which app? Are you sure it wasn't measuring Lux instead of lumens?

minorhero

Reaction score
Yes, that conversion is important. I have Lux Meter on my phone. Measuring a 3000 lumen 4000k shop light I have on a plant grow out tank at 20cm shows a result of approximately 7400 lux.

efs710920mex

Reaction score
Ok, but my question is about CO2, can it harm the lotls? I know it lowers pH but I can keep it in range.

minorhero

Reaction score
Ok, but my question is about CO2, can it harm the lotls? I know it lowers pH but I can keep it in range.
I don't own an axolotl so I don't know for sure. I would certainly worry about it given it will be a diy system that inherently produces an unstable amount of co2. Since axolotls have gills you run the risk of gasing them to death. I don't know if they are more sensitive to co2 (like some shrimp) or less sensitive. So, sorry can't help with that question.

efs710920mex

Reaction score
Why do you think it's WAAAYYYYY too small for 2 axolotls?
The research team in the Biology Institute at UNAM recommends 40 l for a pair of axolotls. Not in vain they are called "walking fish".

MnGuy

Reaction score
I agree that a 10 gallon is too small for two axolotls. I keep three alpine newts in a 20 long and they are a very small species.

I'm a longtime fishkeeper and I don't think you need CO2 for the types of plants you're keeping. They're hardy plants that should do well without CO2. I honestly have no idea how CO2 affects axolotls or newts.

I agree that lowering the light a lot is what the plants need. It is way too dark at the bottom of the tank. However, that could make the axolotls unhappy. I don't keep axolotls but I've read that they don't like bright light. I keep my newts in a planted tank with low-level plants and a ton of floating plants.

Good luck.

efs710920mex

Reaction score
I agree that lowering the light a lot is what the plants need. It is way too dark at the bottom of the tank. However, that could make the axolotls unhappy. I don't keep axolotls but I've read that they don't like bright light. I keep my newts in a planted tank with low-level plants and a ton of floating plants.
That is exactly my question. The balance between requirements for plants and axolotls. I thought of CO2 to help them instead of increasing light, but there is the point of not being very stable and ph variations are not good for axos. I'll keep trying with light intensity.

Murk

Reaction score
Between fertiliser, light and CO2, there will always be one "weakest link" which limits the plant growth (unless all three are perfectly balanced, of course).
Raising the two that are not the weakest link won't help, because it is the other that is limiting growth.

For example, if you have too little light, adding CO2 or fertiliser won't help - because it is the light that is the limiting factor. Similarly, if you have too little CO2, adding light or fertiliser won't help. Etc.

In a cold-water tank, without very heavy lighting and quite heavy fertilisation, CO2 won't ever be the limiting factor. Only when you have fast-growing plants (mostly tropical), with a lot of lighting, and fertilisation, would CO2 be possibly helpful.
Of course it won't help the emersed plants either way.

To me, adding CO2 to the axolotl tank would be a slight risk (because you are introducing another unstable element to the tank, which is always a small risk), for no gain.

You can lower the light a bit, yes. I haven't ever noticed axolotls disliking the light, though some individuals might. You can try it and see how they respond. You have plenty of shadow spots in any case.
Surface movement is always good for the water; if you can get an air stone bubbling it will sliiiiightly help with oyxgen and CO2 levels. Most axolotls seem to enjoy them.

And lastly: indeed, general recommendations are 20 gallons for one axolotl, 30 gallons for two - at the very least.

efs710920mex

Reaction score
Between fertiliser, light and CO2, there will always be one "weakest link" which limits the plant growth (unless all three are perfectly balanced, of course).
Raising the two that are not the weakest link won't help, because it is the other that is limiting growth.

For example, if you have too little light, adding CO2 or fertiliser won't help - because it is the light that is the limiting factor. Similarly, if you have too little CO2, adding light or fertiliser won't help. Etc.

In a cold-water tank, without very heavy lighting and quite heavy fertilisation, CO2 won't ever be the limiting factor. Only when you have fast-growing plants (mostly tropical), with a lot of lighting, and fertilisation, would CO2 be possibly helpful.
Of course it won't help the emersed plants either way.

To me, adding CO2 to the axolotl tank would be a slight risk (because you are introducing another unstable element to the tank, which is always a small risk), for no gain.

You can lower the light a bit, yes. I haven't ever noticed axolotls disliking the light, though some individuals might. You can try it and see how they respond. You have plenty of shadow spots in any case.
Surface movement is always good for the water; if you can get an air stone bubbling it will sliiiiightly help with oyxgen and CO2 levels. Most axolotls seem to enjoy them.

And lastly: indeed, general recommendations are 20 gallons for one axolotl, 30 gallons for two - at the very least.
Thanks, that clears most of my questions. The tank will change in a few months. I'm about to move to a new apartment so I don't want to make changes yet.

This is the most light I can get of this lamps
IMG-20201203-131137910.jpg

It's about 3000 lumen.

efs710920mex

Reaction score
BTW the Echinodorus Amazonicus are in such a bad condition because they come from my 330 liters tank with a turtle.

Murk

Reaction score
This is the most light I can get of this lamps

Yea, that seems plenty.

If it's too much light, you'll get algae. As long as you don't get algae (or the axolotls seem bothered by it), you won't have too much light.

leomleite

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 10 gal tank with 2 juvenile axolotls and this setup.
IMG-20201202-122646266.jpg

I wonder if I can use DIY CO2 to help the plants grow.

Light is aprox 600 lumen at the surface of the water. It's been a week now with this setup but the filter has been working for almost a year now, so it's completely cycled.

Any suggestion is welcomed.
As long as they have enough hides, the light shouldn't bother!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1