Setup questions

Why do you think it's WAAAYYYYY too small for 2 axolotls?
The research team in the Biology Institute at UNAM recommends 40 l for a pair of axolotls. Not in vain they are called "walking fish".
Researchers often study high numbers of animals in very limited spaces. Just because they kept 2 axolotls in a 10 gallon tank doesn't mean that's the most comfortable option. I personally have one axolotl in a 10 gallon tank right now due to a tank size limitation at my residence (a school--I have a 20 for him at home) and the 10 gallon is honestly too small for one adult. You mentioned that yours were juvenile, but they look fairly large. The only time I would say a 10 gallon is big enough for 2 is if they are both under 4 inches long. Otherwise, there's just not enough space for them to move around comfortably and they'll end up in each other's spaces all the time, which could easily lead to injuries. Please get a larger tank for their sake. As someone else suggested, you should probably have at least 30 gallons for two axolotls.

Researchers often study high numbers of animals in very limited spaces. Just because they kept 2 axolotls in a 10 gallon tank doesn't mean that's the most comfortable option. I personally have one axolotl in a 10 gallon tank right now due to a tank size limitation at my residence (a school--I have a 20 for him at home) and the 10 gallon is honestly too small for one adult. You mentioned that yours were juvenile, but they look fairly large. The only time I would say a 10 gallon is big enough for 2 is if they are both under 4 inches long. Otherwise, there's just not enough space for them to move around comfortably and they'll end up in each other's spaces all the time, which could easily lead to injuries. Please get a larger tank for their sake. As someone else suggested, you should probably have at least 30 gallons for two axolotls.
Thanks, as I said it's a temporary setup. In a couple of months I'll be moving to a new apartment and will build a small pond for them. I still need to think about protection to prevent attacks from cats and birds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back