Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Severe axolotl wound

slipperem

Reaction score
Before I get started, I have had this tank for years without ever having a problem with the water chiller intake. It does not have very strong suction, my axolotls could normally very easily escape it even if they pressed up against it. I think what happened is he was already sick and weak (new development) maybe or his arm got stuck in at an odd angle. Anyways, I'll get into what happened.

I got home from work yesterday and long story short, I realized my axolotl Hamburger had gotten stuck to the water chiller intake pump. I immediately shut it off and tried to carefully pull him out, it did not take much effort. However, he is obviously pretty severely wounded from it. I'm not sure how long he was in there, it could've happened in the morning and I didn't see until that night.

His right fore limb is mangled and he has damage along his side with some bubble like protrusions that I'm guessing are a very bad sign. Today he has developed the white around the wounded area, which could just be the damaged skin sloughing off or infection? I'm not sure.

I am tubbing him with dechlorinator and an antibacterial now. When I get home I think I am going to amputate his forelimb unless someone has good argument to do otherwise. What other advice do you have for me? Would tea baths be helpful or is it a band-aid on a bullet wound?

Please be kind, I have never had a single health issue with my axolotls in 4 years. I am beyond horrified that this happened and am doing everything I can to fix it. I know Hamburger will probably not make it, but I want to give him the best chance I can.

I would also like advice on how to prevent this happening again. When they are healthy they would never have a problem escaping the intake, something must have happened though. Should I put a sponge in front of the filter or something? Wouldn't it clog so fast?

Attachments

• B12728D0-2923-412B-84A5-E2C4451678B5.jpeg
    B12728D0-2923-412B-84A5-E2C4451678B5.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 2,040

wolfen

Reaction score
amputation either by yourself or vet may be your only choice, the main thing to watch out for would be infection and fungus, perhaps using modified holtfreters solution would be useful as it was made for the prevention of fungus in axolotls. you can get stainless steel mesh pipe ends for water inlets (they are designed for shrimp tanks). where as in the case of internal pumps, using filter floss with cable ties around the filter enclosure also prevents anything being dragged in without affecting performance.

AnimeDan

Reaction score
I’d say amputation is probably your best bet. Iv had an Axolotl that got her leg bit off by her tank mate, and after a bit of separation it grew back totally fine. She was so unfazed by the whole thing she dug under the divider to hang out with her tank mate again despite how terrified and distraught I was when I saw it had happened. They are amazing little creatures in that regard.

Lyned

Reaction score
Before I get started, I have had this tank for years without ever having a problem with the water chiller intake. It does not have very strong suction, my axolotls could normally very easily escape it even if they pressed up against it. I think what happened is he was already sick and weak (new development) maybe or his arm got stuck in at an odd angle. Anyways, I'll get into what happened.

I got home from work yesterday and long story short, I realized my axolotl Hamburger had gotten stuck to the water chiller intake pump. I immediately shut it off and tried to carefully pull him out, it did not take much effort. However, he is obviously pretty severely wounded from it. I'm not sure how long he was in there, it could've happened in the morning and I didn't see until that night.

His right fore limb is mangled and he has damage along his side with some bubble like protrusions that I'm guessing are a very bad sign. Today he has developed the white around the wounded area, which could just be the damaged skin sloughing off or infection? I'm not sure.

I am tubbing him with dechlorinator and an antibacterial now. When I get home I think I am going to amputate his forelimb unless someone has good argument to do otherwise. What other advice do you have for me? Would tea baths be helpful or is it a band-aid on a bullet wound?

Please be kind, I have never had a single health issue with my axolotls in 4 years. I am beyond horrified that this happened and am doing everything I can to fix it. I know Hamburger will probably not make it, but I want to give him the best chance I can.

I would also like advice on how to prevent this happening again. When they are healthy they would never have a problem escaping the intake, something must have happened though. Should I put a sponge in front of the filter or something? Wouldn't it clog so fast?
Omg! I’m so sorry this has happened, but I had the exact thing happen to our adult axolotl, Sandy, one week ago. 😢. It was horrifying! We’ve had this tank set up for years and have never had a problem.

I’ve had him tubbed in the fridge with Indian Leaves and a pinch of kanaplex since last Sunday. With 100% water changes daily and an air stone. I’ve been leaving our little fridge cocked open so he doesn’t get too cold-water temps around 50. He’s got a shrimp and some black worms in with him but hasn’t had an appetite. He actually vomited on Tuesday some digested pellets and had a BM on Wednesday.

Today I noticed fungus developing on his severe side wound and frills. I now have him floating in his tub in his aquarium. Waters hanging around 62 degrees.

Please please give me suggestions. I have a 40 gallon tank with my other axolotl, Speckles. I’ve been using the cycled aquarium water for Sandy’s daily water changes. Is this ok? Or should I use distilled???

Poor Sandy has severe damage to the side that got sucked up into the intake tube and it also pulled her leg and foot with it too. I’m pretty sure they’re broken. I’m wondering myself about having it amputated but want her to heal from her side would first. He’s so fragile and lost so much weight.

Please help! Any kind advice would be much appreciated.

PS. We now have an attachment over the intake to prevent this from ever happening again.

Attachments

• 1761F6CE-84D3-4BA2-92C9-99BE86148E98.jpeg
    1761F6CE-84D3-4BA2-92C9-99BE86148E98.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 378
  • B27AE38F-82C6-4568-8B4B-702013485B8E.jpeg
    B27AE38F-82C6-4568-8B4B-702013485B8E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 402

wolfen

Reaction score
Omg! I’m so sorry this has happened, but I had the exact thing happen to our adult axolotl, Sandy, one week ago. 😢. It was horrifying! We’ve had this tank set up for years and have never had a problem.

I’ve had him tubbed in the fridge with Indian Leaves and a pinch of kanaplex since last Sunday. With 100% water changes daily and an air stone. I’ve been leaving our little fridge cocked open so he doesn’t get too cold-water temps around 50. He’s got a shrimp and some black worms in with him but hasn’t had an appetite. He actually vomited on Tuesday some digested pellets and had a BM on Wednesday.

Today I noticed fungus developing on his severe side wound and frills. I now have him floating in his tub in his aquarium. Waters hanging around 62 degrees.

Please please give me suggestions. I have a 40 gallon tank with my other axolotl, Speckles. I’ve been using the cycled aquarium water for Sandy’s daily water changes. Is this ok? Or should I use distilled???

Poor Sandy has severe damage to the side that got sucked up into the intake tube and it also pulled her leg and foot with it too. I’m pretty sure they’re broken. I’m wondering myself about having it amputated but want her to heal from her side would first. He’s so fragile and lost so much weight.

Please help! Any kind advice would be much appreciated.

PS. We now have an attachment over the intake to prevent this from ever happening again.
use holtfreters or modified solution in the tank water, It contains salt among other mineral/salts which will help fight off further infection and fungus.
looking at the back leg the blood flow the the foot has been cut off so it looks like the leg has been badly damaged, this will take time to resolve itself and may never be the same so it might be quicker to amputate and let it regrow.
I use 2g (this can be increased if needed to 3g) unrefined himalayan salt per litre, 0.1g calcium carbonate per litre (will turn water cloudy for a while, I use this instead of calcium chloride and bicarbonate of soda), 0.1g magnesium salt (epsom salt), I also add 1.25ml scoop of powdered humic acid to the tank (this contains trace amounts of potassium and also gives it a more natural brown/yellow colour). I tend to add the chemicals at the same time as a water change.
the water for the daily water change should be dechlorinated tap water not old tank water, it is even more important to add minerals to distilled water as without the minerals your axolotl will suffer further harm. distilled water has all the minerals/salts removed and is even harmful for humans to drink because of this, the same warning applies to ro water.
if you are fridging your axie at any time read the guide that is on this forum, also fridging will reduce your axie appetite and is not unusual to go over a week without food.

Last edited:

Lyned

Reaction score
use holtfreters or modified solution in the tank water, It contains salt among other mineral/salts which will help fight off further infection and fungus.
looking at the back leg the blood flow the the foot has been cut off so it looks like the leg has been badly damaged, this will take time to resolve itself and may never be the same so it might be quicker to amputate and let it regrow.
I use 2g (this can be increased if needed to 3g) unrefined himalayan salt per litre, 0.1g calcium carbonate per litre (will turn water cloudy for a while, I use this instead of calcium chloride and bicarbonate of soda), 0.1g magnesium salt (epsom salt), I also add 1.25ml scoop of powdered humic acid to the tank (this contains trace amounts of potassium and also gives it a more natural brown/yellow colour). I tend to add the chemicals at the same time as a water change.
Wow! Thank you for the informative quick response! Should I put him back in his tank with this mixture (and his tank mate, Speckles)? What about their filter while treating the tank? I’m concerned he will be unable to make it to the surface of his aquarium to get a breath when needed.

Thank you so much for your guidance!

Lyned

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for the informative quick response! Should I put him back in his tank with this mixture (and his tank mate, Speckles)? What about their filter while treating the tank? I’m concerned he will be unable to make it to the surface of his aquarium to get a breath when needed.

Lyned

Reaction score

Looks as if the black worms are taking refuge in his booty!😳 I took them all out. I just took these photos.

Attachments

• CD63BF4A-0E43-427E-AFC1-8D8223BEDFBD.jpeg
    CD63BF4A-0E43-427E-AFC1-8D8223BEDFBD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 167
  • EF21F883-1D4C-48AB-82C9-7533DF5B8210.jpeg
    EF21F883-1D4C-48AB-82C9-7533DF5B8210.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 8686C86E-A546-401E-A860-15765480BA7E.jpeg
    8686C86E-A546-401E-A860-15765480BA7E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
  • A857F9EC-94A9-41F2-9B97-CA011F404D0F.jpeg
    A857F9EC-94A9-41F2-9B97-CA011F404D0F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
  • E168E4B8-DFF6-40C2-871B-572202A040CA.jpeg
    E168E4B8-DFF6-40C2-871B-572202A040CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91

Lyned

Reaction score
Looks as if the black worms are taking refuge in his booty!😳 I took them all out. I just took these photos.
This was after it first happened last Sunday. We were soooo sad!

Attachments

• 073C6C00-1EE6-4605-A72D-18E3974D78E7.jpeg
    073C6C00-1EE6-4605-A72D-18E3974D78E7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114

Lyned

Reaction score

Slipper-

slipperem-how’s your baby doing? Did you decide to amputate? Hoping he has fully recovered!

wolfen

Reaction score

axolotls breath through their skin and gills, even though they have rudimentary lungs these are used only if there isn't enough dissolved oxygen in the water or the water is of poor quality. gulping air at the surface in the wild would be a death sentence from predatory birds.
the filter will be fine with salt/minerals. it used to be advised to use a form of holtfreters when keeping axolotls but seems to be forgotten about, when axolotl were first used in labs they found that they were suffering from fungus, anemia etc.. so because axolotls come from a slightly brackish but high mineral environment a scientist called holtfreter made a solution to keep the axolotls in good health. go to Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander and under requirements it will give details on using holtfreters and concentrations for a sick animal. if he is going back into the tank he will need monitoring for any signs of stress but he should be fine to go back in. like I said though read through the guide for fridging just incase he takes a turn for the worst.

Lyned

Reaction score
Thank you again! You’re quite knowledgeable! I will get these minerals in his tank asap!!!

Would you mind sharing the guide for fridging if you have access to it? I’ve searched with no luck.

Do you think he has a chance of surviving?? Should I get him to an exotic vet?? These is one about 30 minutes away.

wolfen

Reaction score
This was after it first happened last Sunday. We were soooo sad!
looking at the just after and then recent pictures his side is improving well, either way though his foot will either rot off and be regrown or need to be removed to allow healthy growth.

wolfen

Reaction score
Thank you again! You’re quite knowledgeable! I will get these minerals in his tank asap!!!

Would you mind sharing the guide for fridging if you have access to it? I’ve searched with no luck.

Do you think he has a chance of surviving?? Should I get him to an exotic vet?? These is one about 30 minutes away.
Axolotl Fridging Guide I don't think you will loose him, other than his injury he is quite well (fungus strikes even the healthiest animals) would be a good idea to see a vet to make sure there isn't any infection and they will be able to assess his leg.

Lyned

Reaction score
Axolotl Fridging Guide I don't think you will loose him, other than his injury he is quite well (fungus strikes even the healthiest animals) would be a good idea to see a vet to make sure there isn't any infection and they will be able to assess his leg.
I honestly can’t thank you enough for your direction and expertise! I just ordered the salts you recommended and they’ll arrive tomorrow. Are the doses you recommended for a 40Gallon tank?? Should I dissolve them first before adding them?

Also…what would you recommend using for a de-chlorinate?

Thank you again!!

Attachments

• B6F48994-1E70-45F6-8F4C-6CC9B09850C4.jpeg
    B6F48994-1E70-45F6-8F4C-6CC9B09850C4.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 182

wolfen

Reaction score
I honestly can’t thank you enough for your direction and expertise! I just ordered the salts you recommended and they’ll arrive tomorrow. Are the doses you recommended for a 40Gallon tank?? Should I dissolve them first before adding them?

Also…what would you recommend using for a de-chlorinate?

Thank you again!!
I assume you are using u.s. gallons so its 151.4 litres so it would be 300g (rounded off to 300 instead of 302.8) himalayan salt, 15g calcium carbonate (it will cloud the water for a while but will clear), 15g magnesium sulphate, 1.25ml scoop humic acid (gives the same effect as dark water and can be increased if darker water is favoured, activated carbon will remove colouration if required)
pre-mixing in a container does make it easier to add to the tank (don't mix the humic acid in though). do a 50% water change and add the salt/calcium/magnesium mixture to the fresh dechlorinated water then add to tank. once the mixture is added to tank mix 1.25ml humic acid to 200ml dechlorinated water stir until dissolved and add to tank.
I use sodium thiosulphate but any dechlorinator will do, you just need it to dechlorinate only as the tank will take care of ammonia/nitrites and ones that are for slime coat aren't suitable for axolotls. I believe most people use seachem prime but like I said any dechlorinator will do.
when you do future water changes just add 2g salt/ 0.1g calcium carbonate/ 0.1g magnesium sulphate to every litre you change. then add 1.25ml humic acid mixed with 200ml to the tank water, I tend to do weekly water changes.

wolfen

Reaction score
before I forget in case you haven't already always have a air-stone in the tank to oxygenate the water

Lyned

Reaction score
before I forget in case you haven't already always have a air-stone in the tank to oxygenate the water
I have one with him while tubbing but I’ll definitely put one in his big tank too so all of these minerals can stay circulating and he can stay oxygenated.

Quick question. All of these things aren’t coming until tomorrow. Would it be safe to go ahead and put him in his tank with our other Axie? Or should I tub him one more day. Is distilled water safe to use while tubbing?

Also…I made an appt with an exotic vet this Wednesday. Hopefully we can address that mangled leg.

Thank you again!!

wolfen

Reaction score
I have one with him while tubbing but I’ll definitely put one in his big tank too so all of these minerals can stay circulating and he can stay oxygenated.

Quick question. All of these things aren’t coming until tomorrow. Would it be safe to go ahead and put him in his tank with our other Axie? Or should I tub him one more day. Is distilled water safe to use while tubbing?

Also…I made an appt with an exotic vet this Wednesday. Hopefully we can address that mangled leg.

Thank you again!!
it's safer to put him in the tank then for him to be in distilled water with no minerals or salts.

Lyned

Reaction score
it's safer to put him in the tank then for him to be in distilled water with no minerals or salts.
I’ve been using the established aquarium water in his tub with a pinch of Keneflex and Indian leaves. But I just think he would be more comfortable in his tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!