Severe Bloat. I should have looked into this sooner..

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Daniel
One of my C. orientalis has been fairly rotund for about a week now, but I hadn't thought much of it. Neither of my newts have accepted food in the last week. This morning, the other of my two newts appeared to be rather large and the first I mentioned is absolutely bloated. I don't know if there's anything I can do at this point, but does anyone have any advice? It's advancing very rapidly and I'm worried that my other newt caught whatever the first has.
Sorry I haven't been on in a while- I've been focused on school, my AFT, and my BTS.

EDIT: Apparently I've forgotten how to add pictures as well.

Just a quick update: I've put both newts into separate quarantine boxes with small water dishes. I left an ice pack under each box, misted them, and draped a towel over the whole thing. Griffin, the one who's the most bloated, is still active and was attempting to swim around when I took her out. (Yes, they do have a land area.) I also noticed two small red blemishes on Char, the other newt. They don't look like sores, but like warts.

That's rotten luck, Are you sure it's not a water quality issue? Saying that, we can never know what they may have picked up at importers and wholesalers etc. Pics would help!

Here's one of Char- I'll have to post the other picture separately.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 331
They don't look good at all, barring some kind of miracle I'd say its too late, unfortunately. Didn't you lose one to a similar illness last year soon after you got them? It's a good job you didn't add them to a large collection of other newts, they would have easily gone through a quarantine period without showing any symptoms, while all along they were carrying this.
I can only suggest keeping them as comfortable as possible and see what happens. It really doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Fun. Alright, thanks anyways. Char's still alive, and I think Griffin is as well. I'll keep them cool.

Now I'm confused... I've been replacing ice packs twice a day and spraying the cages every so often. They haven't moved since some time this afternoon, and I don't know definitively whether they've passed on or not. The thing is, their bloating has gone down almost completely. Does this normally happen after death? It didn't happen to Fig.

I know the post was from a while ago but bloat doesn't go away when they die. If you poke them or mist them and watch the faces you should be able to tell if they're alive.
Mine bloated up after a heat wave. :(
If you want to cool them off, try the fridge... I think the water helps when they're big, 'cause they can float and not crush under the weight...
also salt baths are supposed to be good for bloat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back