Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexes of Chinese Fire Bellies

jennamae93

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So, to my surprise, one (or more) of my three Cynops is pregnant and has been laying eggs everywhere in the aquarium. I thought they were all male, but apparently at least one of them is female! I have been taking the eggs out of the aquarium and attempting to get them to hatch; many of them are getting moldy though. But anyways, I have a few pictures that I would be very appreciative if someone could help me determine which are male(s) and which are female(s).

This is Neal:

This is Pumpkin (who I have seen in the egg laying position (back feet wrapped around the plant) and also trying to eat the laid eggs):

And this is Cinnamon:

Any help sexing them would be great! Also, is there anything special I should do with the eggs to keep them from molding. I've read that they mold because they aren't fertile...I just have them in a smaller tank with no filter system. Any tips would be great, thanks! :)

P.S. Not sure exactly how to post pics...so hopefully they work!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I thinki you have 1 female and 2 males. One of the males is less obvious but i´m still pretty certain it´s male.

jennamae93

Reaction score
I thinki you have 1 female and 2 males. One of the males is less obvious but i´m still pretty certain it´s male.

Thank you very much. I would assume that Pumpkin, the one in the egg laying position would be the female then? Because I currently have Neal in a separate aquarium, but he was in with the others a month or so ago.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1