Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sexing my newts (pics added)

sammie18

Reaction score
Sexing my newts, I dunno if they are male or female So I thought Id see if you guys could tell me! I took sum pics of them both. :D

Here is Newt1

Newt1a.jpg

Newt1b.jpg

And here is Newt2

Newt2a.jpg

Newt2b.jpg

Newt 1 seems to be a female, it is gravid, so it might have eggs.

I can't tell if Newt 2 is a male or female. The tail should be broaden and flat if it is a mature male.

your hands look dry in the photo sammie? you should only handle your newts with clean well rinsed wet hands, or you can hurt them.

If I had to guess, I'd say both are male. But I'm notoriously bad at sexing newts, so take it with a grain of salt.

If I had to guess, I'd say both are male. But I'm notoriously bad at sexing newts, so take it with a grain of salt.

Brutal honesty is a sign of good intent and good character. Very funny.
-jbherpin-

...Might I add, I agree...?

It is true that Newt 1 might just be a very fat male.
My male newts never get so gravid. Probably too busy mating and the bigger females ate all their food...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1