Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing Tylotos

Reaction score
Hi can anyone give me tips on how to sex Tyloto Verrs. Mine seem to be big and fat just wondering if I have a trio of females full of eggs or just a bunch of newts who ate all the pies? I find if I don't feed them regular they just try to eat each other. I have some potential males to introduce but they are a bit smaller and they are from a later spawn of different newts. I don't want them to become just another lunch for the girls. regards KB

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Males are smaller, have less blunt heads and tend to have more orange on them. They will also develop obviously bulbous cloacae with a long slit when manually opened. Females are massive, darker and with more rounded, blunt heads. Their cloacae will be more 'volcano -shaped' with a round hole when manually opened. Male tails are also generally higher than the females'.

Once you have a pair for comparison the differences are very obvious!

Do you have some pics to post?

Reactions: sde
Reaction score
Hi I got a couple of pics all three newts look very much the same IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg I hope these are clear enough regards KB

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Or even pictures from the side with the whole animal in shot. Relative tail length and shape in profile can be a give-away.

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the help I just took 2 more pics (she was not happy with the the liberties I had to take to get the underneath shot) That's my hand in shot and I have big hands I took loads of pics but these are the clearest.View attachment 39631

View attachment 39632 I will try to get a side shot when they calm down regards KB

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 333
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for that mate im sure the others are as well . Its going to take a few big earth worms before im back in her good books. But looking on the bright side that's a lot easier than it is with the Mrs. Regards KB

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!