Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

shanjings breeding

Salamandrae

Reaction score
I have a few emperors myself nice pics and must i say it looks as if you went into the forest and took a chuck of the ground and stuffed it in the tank LOL beatiful setup also id love to see more pics on this

WetBeast

Reaction score
Got it in one, its a wax worm and they love them.

Lucky you.

I bought this product for my shanjing and for my ceratophrys ornata, none of them did eat it.

:tongue:

My shanjing was staring at it for hours (OK, I do exagerate LOL), without ever entering into some action...

:yawn:

My ornata was clearly disgusted at its smell (which is really ugly), and even turned its back to it...

:lol:

Did your shanjings accept it from the first time you gave it to them ?

aramcheck

Reaction score
I can't say about shanjing, but my verrucosus are eating them, but they needed a bit of training.

My Salamandra s. terrestris and T marmoratus get really exited by waxworm and take them avidly, so I was suprised when my tylos did not show any interest, I did get them interested by slightly crushing a waxworm, so some of its inside burst and rubbing it on the newt's 'lips', they then snaped the waxworn and now take them from twizzers.

WetBeast

Reaction score
I can't say about shanjing, but my verrucosus are eating them, but they needed a bit of training.

My Salamandra s. terrestris and T marmoratus get really exited by waxworm and take them avidly, so I was suprised when my tylos did not show any interest, I did get them interested by slightly crushing a waxworm, so some of its inside burst and rubbing it on the newt's 'lips', they then snaped the waxworn and now take them from twizzers.

Thank you (Merci) for this useful information, dude.

I regret having thrown my waxworm can without "insisting" a tiny little bit...

:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1