Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping Axolotls?

Wysper

Reaction score
I'm curious....

How safe is shipping axolotls?

I'm on a facebook page where a member posted yesterday their little one arrived dead, the bag broke and it was out of the bag and bloody. :(:eek:

I really want to get a leucistic but I am very nervous about shipping now....

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Shipping axolotls is easy. Their are several reputable breeders on caudata.org with the experience to do it properly. When you try to do it on the cheap it can be a disaster.

tipnatee

Reaction score
That's why shipping axolotl cost so much to begin with . I ship my axolotl using high grade insulation material insulated box that I hand made, and shipping cooling packs. For bigger box you can buy premake insulated box online they comes with foam cooler or foam blocked wall then I just added double bubble foil insulated liner ( industrial made for cold and radio heat protection) and added enough ice gel packs ( made for shipping) that will keep package cool till their destination . The main thing is to use express shipping service only! :cool: Express Shipping will delivery next day, or the day after next for further destination . You can NEVER skim on insulated material. Also I'm using protecting labels which you can get for like " Live Fish please handle with care" or " perishable please handle with care" and the arrows sigh that point upward for correct box position. Plus I buy breather bags only.

Shipping express by air around US rate from $ 35-45 per axolotl ( only same state can be $25)
Buying Shipping materials complete cost per box rate from $10-12 per axolotl ( complete hand made from scratch cost like $4-6 per a single complete box.)
Breather bag cost somewhere between a dollar.
Plus it's seller responsibility to 100% guarantee live arrival or money back or free replacement axolotl

Last edited:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A live fish label might be close to accurate but shouldn't be used. According to the Lacey act the box must be properly labelled on the outside as to genus, species, common name, and quantity. Shipping axolotls is expensive but my costs are lower than what tipnatee mentions. I always ship express in a styrofoam lined box with an ice pack. I like to type in complete sentences and articulate my guarantees and procedures. Good communication is a big part of a good transaction.

tipnatee

Reaction score
That's Exactly how much USPS priority express charge me for shipping I swear!! What do you use if you don't mind me asking? :confused: ( I know that fedex is cheaper but I don't have fedex nor ups near me) Live fish is the only label I could buy beside perishable and that is as close for genus , species as it gonna gets . And sometime it cost me more to ship them but it worth it , I don't ever want any accident ever. Believe me I'm so desperate to cut cost as much as I can, but time is what I don't have . So I bought premake insulated boxed on Amazon and bubble foil to padded inside. It's expensive and I don't have enough room to buy large bulk to save money, so I have to buy per order and that's what they sell on Amazon Just check on Amazon price if you don't believe it. It's outrage. And USPS shipping cost here , I guess because I'm in New York City and every thing in NYC is just ripping off expensive including the post office ( sorry I'm just frustrated) :mad: if you can do cheaper please help.

LoriML

Reaction score
You have the right to ask any seller if they have experience in shipping also. Don't be afraid to ask questions. A good breeder is happy to answer any and all questions prior to selling and shipping. Sometimes there can be a fluke, but a good breeder takes care to ship properly so you shouldn't problems. It's cooling down a little in some states, so priority shipping might be an option now also depending on location and shipping experience.

tipnatee

Reaction score
I bet that was probably the first time that axie owner ever ship axolotl , made a huge mistake for the first time ever. I still remember the day that I had ever made that one big mistaked when shipping axolotl across US, and it was the worse day of my life. The buyer requested priority shipping so I packed them perfectly but My first doa package got lost in USPS office during weekend . It was my fault for unknowingly shipping them Thursday at noon thought they should be there on Saturday ( USPS delivered them death to their door on Monday at the worse condition I have ever seen) . Till today I would never ship axolotl any day but Monday, Tuesday , and Wednesday ( for near destination only) ever again. And mostly try to ship them express only. It's trumatizing when thinking the death of your babies that you raised by your hands were kill by it. I didn't ship any axolotl for a while after that. I was really mad at my self. I didn't even want to take a look at the DOA picture they took. The buyer got a full refund, just the second that I learned that USPS were not gonna make it. :( . First mistakes would probably haunt me for the rest of my life. But not afried to admit it either. Cause I would never ever made the same mistake again for that I can guarantee it.

Wysper

Reaction score
I know it doesn't always happen, but it's one of the main reasons I am scared to order any living creature through online sources to be shipped.

I am very thankful I was able to finally find my babies within driving distance and could physically go get them and bring them home myself.

Plus it was helpful to be able to meet their breeder and see his set up and how he had the babies. It was very obvious he cares a great deal about them and treating them right. :D

tipnatee

Reaction score
I only wish there would be more local pickup but unfortuanately not everybody as lucky as you are . I hand delivered a few axolotl my self to local buyer. It's very nice to talk to the buyer in person cause as a seller I care great deal about my axie , knowing who would my babies be spending the rest of there live with, priceless. :cool:

Wysper

Reaction score
I wish I lived closer to you, and could pick up some of yours. Though I'm in NC, so shipping would be one night max anyway.

tipnatee

Reaction score
the saddest thing about selling axie is that there will always be some axie left over that no one wanted cause they're not perfect , some I saved it from tragic accident that left their body fully healed in oddly looking shaped. I wonder if I could post for adoption , the only thing I need is just handling and shipping cost. But not sure anyone would ever considering it :( .

Wysper

Reaction score
You can always try to adopt them out. I'm sure someone would be happy to take care of a rescue and give them a happy life. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1