Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping of Tiger Salamanders in the United States

Dakota21

Reaction score
I’m sorry if this isn’t the right place to post this. I work for a bait trapping company and have received interest from people across the nation about buying several hundred tiger salamanders for resale as pets. Can anyone help me and inform me on the legality of shipping them buy post? Thank you in advance and I’m sorry again if this is the incorrect place to post this

Herpin Man

Reaction score
As near as I can tell, it appears to be legal for you to do this in South Dakota. However, I am really hoping that you don't. Amphibian populations, including tiger salamanders, are rapidly dwindling worldwide due to habitat loss and degradation, disease, development and road mortality, to mention a few. You are proposing to take a substantial number of them out of the population, and sell them to pet dealers for resale- and the majority of those animals will likely die in captivity. A few will probably be released into the environment when their owners tire of them (which can have worse consequences than simply killing them). And for what- a few hundred dollars? If you need money, couldn't you find a way to earn it that is more ethical?
Obviously, I care about amphibians very much. What you are wanting to do is something that I wouldn't do for any amount of money.
I know that you'll do as you please, but I hope that you will reconsider.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1