Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

should i breed?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
* all of this is assuming my axolotl is male and can therefore breed with a female *

should i try to breed my own axolotl with one of the females at my school?
s/he (not sure of gender for certain yet) is a healthy, large axanthic with gorgeous and fluffy gills, while she is a golden albino with stunted gills from poor water quality in her younger years.
i’ve done my research and am well aware at the large clutches of eggs axolotls produce, and would probably only keep about ten eggs and cull the rest in the most humane way possible (either by feeding to the mother to help her gain back nutrients or through freezing them in early early stages)

with those ten eggs i would expect about 5 to hatch and be healthy, and any animal that would have an especially poor qual of life will either be kept by me personally or culled (once again as humanely as possible)

ultimately i would love to breed them, i’m even hoping to possibly produce something rare - but as i happen to be a minor i still live with my parents. i could do the entire project by myself as i am financially independent enough to, but worry there may be disapproval there

not to mention me wanting to keep every single baby and not sell any lol

mother and father (?) below

Attachments

• DF9C2542-86AA-4D0A-8444-2B983E905D77.jpeg
    DF9C2542-86AA-4D0A-8444-2B983E905D77.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 6E074A96-7B54-4543-8178-9A4F13937B5F.jpeg
    6E074A96-7B54-4543-8178-9A4F13937B5F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140

axie owner

Reaction score
well its your choice. if you have done the research and have got the supplies and the idea of how much it would cost then i say go for it.

Chak

Reaction score
* all of this is assuming my axolotl is male and can therefore breed with a female *

should i try to breed my own axolotl with one of the females at my school?
s/he (not sure of gender for certain yet) is a healthy, large axanthic with gorgeous and fluffy gills, while she is a golden albino with stunted gills from poor water quality in her younger years.
i’ve done my research and am well aware at the large clutches of eggs axolotls produce, and would probably only keep about ten eggs and cull the rest in the most humane way possible (either by feeding to the mother to help her gain back nutrients or through freezing them in early early stages)

with those ten eggs i would expect about 5 to hatch and be healthy, and any animal that would have an especially poor qual of life will either be kept by me personally or culled (once again as humanely as possible)

ultimately i would love to breed them, i’m even hoping to possibly produce something rare - but as i happen to be a minor i still live with my parents. i could do the entire project by myself as i am financially independent enough to, but worry there may be disapproval there

not to mention me wanting to keep every single baby and not sell any lol

mother and father (?) below
Depends on the outcome you expect. If the hets have nothing in common, you'll get mostly wilds from that clutch. Not saying they're bad morphs, I think wilds are very pretty, but it's very hard to get them sold. They would make some very interesting babies if it works out. Keep us posted :))

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Depends on the outcome you expect. If the hets have nothing in common, you'll get mostly wilds from that clutch. Not saying they're bad morphs, I think wilds are very pretty, but it's very hard to get them sold. They would make some very interesting babies if it works out. Keep us posted :))
i definitely intend to keep you posted - i also think wild’s are gorgeous. since id have about 5 and keep probably one or two, i’d only have to sell two of them, not very worried about selling :)

xxianxx

Reaction score
Sell the surplus eggs to fund the ones you keep. You can buy yourself a brine shrimp hatchery, brine shrimp eggs, pump a couple of tubs and eventually bloodworm with the proceeds. It can be a self funding hobby, i doubt many parents would object to their kid making some cash and involving themselves in a harmless hobby which keeps them out of trouble.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Sell the surplus eggs to fund the ones you keep. You can buy yourself a brine shrimp hatchery, brine shrimp eggs, pump a couple of tubs and eventually bloodworm with the proceeds. It can be a self funding hobby, i doubt many parents would object to their kid making some cash and involving themselves in a harmless hobby which keeps them out of trouble.
i have the funds to do everything i intend to do, i’m getting another job this summer as well :)
good idea though! might try it

xxianxx

Reaction score
I hate it when eggs get binned, selling or giving them away is always an option. Give the little guys a chance of life.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Shipping has little impact on axolotl eggs if done correctly. Too high a temp is the main issue, if its 24c 76f i wouldnt send via post. Get an xbox game type case, add eggs with weed, make sure its damp but not over flowing with water, tape edges of case to seal it in. Put in a padded envelope and send the fastest way. Eggs can keep developing and hatch in that case. Keep eggs in fridge to retard development , this allows you more time to find buyers. Make sure eggs are developing prior to shipping.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Shipping has little impact on axolotl eggs if done correctly. Too high a temp is the main issue, if its 24c 76f i wouldnt send via post. Get an xbox game type case, add eggs with weed, make sure its damp but not over flowing with water, tape edges of case to seal it in. Put in a padded envelope and send the fastest way. Eggs can keep developing and hatch in that case. Keep eggs in fridge to retard development , this allows you more time to find buyers. Make sure eggs are developing prior to shipping.
good to know! thank you! i also worry about payment because i’ve never sold anything online before - any advice//explanation on that?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Payment can be via paypal or direct to a bank account. Talk to your parents if you havent a bank account. I dont like paypal due to the charges and the fact that people may try to get their money back for no valid reason. You can advertise if forumns like this or on pet selling sites.

Chak

Reaction score
yeah the biggest concern i have is shipping them and all of them being duds, i don’t wanna disappoint anyone
Make sure the eggs are beaning before you send any. I put mine in water bottles, gatorade bottles, just any plastic bottle, put newspaper or bubble wrap all around and in the box. I've done it before and the eggs turned out fine.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Make sure the eggs are beaning before you send any. I put mine in water bottles, gatorade bottles, just any plastic bottle, put newspaper or bubble wrap all around and in the box. I've done it before and the eggs turned out fine.
do i need cooling packs or can i just ship them within a certain temp. range?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Payment can be via paypal or direct to a bank account. Talk to your parents if you havent a bank account. I dont like paypal due to the charges and the fact that people may try to get their money back for no valid reason. You can advertise if forumns like this or on pet selling sites.
would getting it sent directly to my bank account be considered a wire?

Thanassi07

Reaction score
I mean I feel like the market it oversaturated and you'll have many babies that can be difficult to sell, also it can be very time-consuming to raise larvae so it's your call.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!