Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I do another water change?

BasilBear

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just have a question

Yesterday while I was doing a water change the fan fell into the aquarium, and the fan was kinda dirty. I didn’t think that much of it, because it fell in before the water change so I thought I would get out whatever debris fell into the tank with a 25% water change. Well today I went to check on him and he was looking kinda swollen and he has curled gills ,and bit of fungus (he usually has curled gills and fungus though). I immediately checked the levels and everything seems okay except the nitrates were really high, around 80 or higher. I’m not sure if I should do a water change now even though I just did one yesterday. Would that crash my tank? I would love if anyone had any advice. Here’s some pictures of him. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• AB7B80A3-8825-4732-A90F-4A51455832F1.jpeg
    AB7B80A3-8825-4732-A90F-4A51455832F1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
  • 989104EC-4340-4460-B131-D323E434C2DF.jpeg
    989104EC-4340-4460-B131-D323E434C2DF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Hi! What kind of test kit/strips do you use? Is your tank cycled? What is your water change schedule? Tank size? I would do a 50% water change today, those nitrates are very high. This will not crash your tank as long as you dechlorinate the water! The tank is cycled when there is sufficient beneficial bacteria colonized to process the fish's waste into a less harmful substance. The chlorine found in tap water kills the beneficial bacteria, so as long as you dechlorinate the tank shouldn't crash. Make sure you match the new water to the tank temp when you refill after the water change!

BasilBear

Reaction score
Hi! I’m so sorry I never responded to your message! I thought I did but I guess I never did haha, one of those days lol. I did do those water changes and the nitrates are looking a lot better! (40 and getting lower.) I also have been spot cleaning regularly so that’s been helping! And my axolotl is back to his old self! Much more active, playful and less swollen! He still has some fungus on his gills so I’m thinking if I should tub him with some Indian almond leaf. However he gets stressed very easily so I’m wondering if that would do more harm then good? Hmm, any way thank you so much for responding! I really do appreciate it:)

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Hi! I’m so sorry I never responded to your message! I thought I did but I guess I never did haha, one of those days lol. I did do those water changes and the nitrates are looking a lot better! (40 and getting lower.) I also have been spot cleaning regularly so that’s been helping! And my axolotl is back to his old self! Much more active, playful and less swollen! He still has some fungus on his gills so I’m thinking if I should tub him with some Indian almond leaf. However he gets stressed very easily so I’m wondering if that would do more harm then good? Hmm, any way thank you so much for responding! I really do appreciate it:)
I am so glad it is working out! I totally get it, lol. I would continue to do water changes as frequently as needed to keep the nitrates at or below 20. Live floating plants will help with that, as well as provide cover for your axolotl. This will help reduce the stress a lot! I think but am not entirely sure that axolotls are more receptive to fungus when stressed. You could add the indian almond leaves to the tank?

BasilBear

Reaction score
Thank you for all of you advice! That all sounds great and I will definitely countinue with those water changes! I would add live plants but I’m scared to beacuase my axolotl tries to bite everything 😂 and I feel like he would eat them! Thank you again for all of your help my axolotl and I really appreciate it:)

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Thank you for all of you advice! That all sounds great and I will definitely countinue with those water changes! I would add live plants but I’m scared to beacuase my axolotl tries to bite everything 😂 and I feel like he would eat them! Thank you again for all of your help my axolotl and I really appreciate it:)
I am glad I could help!:D Your axolotl is gorgeous!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!