Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I stop feeding live food?

Lyv3wyr3

Reaction score
Heya, axolotls owner with septicemia that turned out to be ammonia burns (I know, I almost died inside too. it wasn't a normal case of ammonia burns though.). He is fine now, taking everything into consideration. He's doing much better and I'm glad to say he's going to live (praise the lord), but one of the feeder fish had a red mark on its back (they're rose-red minnows) and I think that it might ironically actually have septicemia. Is this common in pet store feeders? I was told by his breeder that live fish would be fine, but now I'm starting to think that I may have been misinformed. Is it even safe to use store-bought worms?

Last edited:

fishkid

Reaction score
live feeders are not safe as a staple. Nightcrawlers are the best option, you can get them from many places online, just make sure they're pet safe. Any feeder fish must be quarantined for at least 2 weeks - a month

Lyv3wyr3

Reaction score
live feeders are not safe as a staple. Nightcrawlers are the best option, you can get them from many places online, just make sure they're pet safe. Any feeder fish must be quarantined for at least 2 weeks - a month
aight thanks. Nightcrawlers will be the new food along with some blood worms (he has quite the distaste for nc's. Such a picky eater)

fishkid

Reaction score
aight thanks. Nightcrawlers will be the new food along with some blood worms (he has quite the distaste for nc's. Such a picky eater)
if he won't eat them/doesn't like them, try coating them in garlic, I've heard of that helping. you can find on google how :)

EvankingM

Reaction score
if he won't eat them/doesn't like them, try coating them in garlic, I've heard of that helping. you can find on google how :)
Could you please confirm that some garlic in axolotyls diet is ok for them? I bought a large slab of frozen bloodworm from pet shop today and did not realise till I got home that the bloodworm has garlic in it.
I have mature axys and also some baby axys (about 2 months old).

fishkid

Reaction score
Could you please confirm that some garlic in axolotyls diet is ok for them? I bought a large slab of frozen bloodworm from pet shop today and did not realise till I got home that the bloodworm has garlic in it.
I have mature axys and also some baby axys (about 2 months old).
should be totally fine, it would likely be garlic infused so they won't be eating straight garlic. a small amount is safe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!