Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

sick axo? slime coat, blood blisters?

Wildgreen

Reaction score
so I've been trying to search online for something similar but havent found anything really. my axolotl stopped eating her nightcrawlers weeks ago, i thought it was just because she was tubbed while the tank cycled again (i did a deep clean/restart of it because of some weird white slime in my filters/growing on stuff).
tank cycled, put her back she still wouldnt eat. tank mate was fine.
she had a flare up of gill fungus, she gets it sometimes and seems sensitive to nitrates (i try to keep it under 20ppm for that reason).
sold the tank mate, hes still healthy and having no issues. my girl slowly got worse, as her slime coat/skin became bumpy and weird looking. slime coat is peeling and now i have noticed tiny red bumps (almost like blood blisters). she definitely seems uncomfortable if i touch her with like a q tip.

i have tried; meth blue, kanaplex, salts (2 tbsp/10 gal max as her tank water not a dip). meth blue i did concurrent with the kanaplex and salts, ive stopped the meth blue now and have been using furan since 8/22.

her gill fungus has stayed gone through everything but her slime/coat skin seem about the same. gills maybe even seem better since the fungus has been gone.

some recent pics, and the very last 2 are old when she was healthy, and to show her "birthmark" that has always been there.

Attachments

• 20200824_192200.jpg
    20200824_192200.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,345
  • 20200824_191858.jpg
    20200824_191858.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
  • 20200824_191837.jpg
    20200824_191837.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 20200824_191115.jpg
    20200824_191115.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 265
  • 20200824_191523.jpg
    20200824_191523.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 265
  • 20200823_151018.jpg
    20200823_151018.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 164
  • 20200823_150606.jpg
    20200823_150606.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
  • 20161205_221328.jpg
    20161205_221328.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 113
  • 20170712_162359.jpg
    20170712_162359.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 248

Wildgreen

Reaction score
anyway, i am wondering if I should try fridging with the furan since i cant get her temp under 68F in the tank. (and shes not eating really anyway).

in the weeks of not eating she has taken a ghost shrimp and 2 guppies. there have been black worms in the tank the last week but idk if shes eating any of them...i only added them once and theyre mostly still there (some lost in water changes).

the tank she is in now is changed 100% daily so everything is 0/0/0 pH is over 7 and i have pretty hard water. i also use prime, have been dosing 3x what is needed to help with any extra chlorine too when i treat the new water (pretty sure there have been spikes with my city water this summer, the tank mate used to gag when id add new water).

i moved in march, didnt have any issues like this with my old water its a bummer. i didnt even move that far either!

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone gotten back to you yet? I honestly don't know what to suggest, other than the temperature. Have you tried the frozen bottles of water trick? When I need to reduce my girl's tank fast, I put 4 of those in her 20 gallon tank and within an hour, she's around 65 degrees, and if I need to go further, I have ice packs that are in zip lock bags, they float on the top like frog lily pads.

Wildgreen

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone gotten back to you yet? I honestly don't know what to suggest, other than the temperature. Have you tried the frozen bottles of water trick? When I need to reduce my girl's tank fast, I put 4 of those in her 20 gallon tank and within an hour, she's around 65 degrees, and if I need to go further, I have ice packs that are in zip lock bags, they float on the top like frog lily pads.
i have a vet appt on tue but i just tested my tap the other night and found ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so guessing thats my problem...... no idea how long its been like that. when i tested the water a couple months ago it was fine and didnt have any of that in it!!! its not ridiculously high but still a couple ppm

Wildgreen

Reaction score
i have a vet appt on tue but i just tested my tap the other night and found ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so guessing thats my problem...... no idea how long its been like that. when i tested the water a couple months ago it was fine and didnt have any of that in it!!! its not ridiculously high but still a couple ppm
and apparently this wasnt showing in my tank since it was cycled..

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
@Wildgreen

So wait, your water, the water you drink and bathe in, its quality has changed since you moved or has it always been wonky compared to the old home's water? I tested my water out of paranoia and it's fairly good, despite the massive water bill. You have a vet appointment scheduled, please let us know how that goes. I am deeply interested in knowing how a vet treats an aquatic pet.

Have you been able to help the temperature in your axolotl's tank?

Wildgreen

Reaction score
so i moved in march, tested my water and it was good at the new place. was a little different than my old house, just more chlorine it seemed (1 of my 2 axolotl would gag when i added water directly to my tank with a hose on his end, was better if i added on the opposite side or if i treated with extra prime).

my issues with this girl started a month, maybe a little longer ago. so not sure if this is the only thing that is her problem.

this vet has seen axolotl before, was recommended by someone in my area!

Wildgreen

Reaction score
also her gills are still looking fine, not shriveled up and missing frills. so must have been more recent.

Wildgreen

Reaction score
so like 2 days before i went to the vet i tested my tap and found nitrites and ammonia... so the vet is pretty sure my problem is just water quality. no idea how long its been like that either... im moving her back to my parents place where i had her for years with no issues. going to rehab and sell her when shes healthy again!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Thats crazy and good and sad all at the same time.

I'm glad the problem was found for the gillies sake but sad you need to rehome due to your cities water quality.

so like 2 days before i went to the vet i tested my tap and found nitrites and ammonia... so the vet is pretty sure my problem is just water quality. no idea how long its been like that either... im moving her back to my parents place where i had her for years with no issues. going to rehab and sell her when shes healthy again!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
What?! Sell her! She's your axolotl though!
It’s necessary, if she can’t provide proper care. Sometimes you love them so much and part of that is knowing you can’t keep them properly at the moment, and wanting better life for them. You still love them to death, but want better for them than what u can do at the moment.

Wildgreen

Reaction score
i was planning to sell anyway, already sold my mosaic, which was lucky for him cause he wasnt having the same issues the wild has been even though they were in the same water. must have got rid of him just before it got bad ? or he was less sensitive some how. would have thought it would show more on him since he was half lucy so white skin though.

was wanting to sell originally because ive been having trouble keeping them cold, and i kind of wanna get into African cichlids again..

my guppies dont seem to be minding the crap water here, the filter takes care of the nitrites in about 48hrs. i just need to find some live plants to keep up with the excess nitrates..working on rooting a sweet potato atm.

Wildgreen

Reaction score
i had plenty of fun with these guys, had em for about 5 yrs now. have bred them, raised eggs the whole deal. fun stuff for sure but a lot of work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!