Sick axolotl - Please help!!!! :(

Dicranurus

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dear all,

I'm sorry for bothering again. My axolotl was floating for 2 days in her tank (today she floated upside down for a couple of times). According to advice I decided to put it in a shallow water tank in order to reduce her stress and hopefully heal. I'm scared because she really didn't react when I moved her... I mean she's alive but no reaction when touched and she had the "neck part" inflated (her abdomen as well). In addition I just noted a slight skin flake on the right side of the cloaca region (you should be able to see it in the photo in attachment.... close to the right back limb). I really don't know what to do since I didn't change anything in the last period. She's reabsorbing eggs for the first time, she's 1,2-1,3 years old. I'm really worried :( I don't want to lose her...please help :(

Link to my previous post: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...k-axolotl/99602-my-axolotl-doesnt-move-p.html

Thanks in advance your advice and help :(:(:(:(

Attachments

• foto(4).jpg
    foto(4).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 395
I noticed the swollen neck in your other post, it can be indicative of a bacterial infection/septacemia. This animal needs to be seen by a herp vet.

Thanks for the answer. I called a vet and I fixed for tomorrow morning (it's night now here and he cannot see her). I really hope she will survive for the night. Any advice? :(:(

She was again upside down and I noticed that the neck part is red of blood under the skin... :( I don't know what to do

Dear all,

Cassandra died during the night. I'm really upset. I had her for 1,5 years and I've dedicated so much love and attention to her during this time. Water was always ok, temperature never above 20°. She always ate her earthworms with joy. I really don't know why she died in only 2 days (probably an infection but apart from floating she didn't have any other external symptom). She always had gills that were not well developed since I had her from the pet shop (Some of you told me she suffered in bad conditions when juvenile). I think she had a good life while with me plenty of love and affection. RIP Cassy :(:(

Thanks for your help and support during these days.

Really feeling for you right now - it is so painful to lose a friend, especially when you are unsure of the cause. My favourite kitten is called Cassandra and she's unwell just now, which is causing me a huge amount of stress, so your post is especially poignant. And I am sure you did give Cassandra a good life while she was with you. Please do not let this put you off axies. Grieve, but then get another one. Or two...

Thanks a lot Sweetie. I really appreciate your kind and sweet words. Much love to your kitten. I hope she'll recover soon!
xoxo

I'm sorry for loss,
but Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

:( very sorry bud, it looks like edema which does kill them and it could have been something genetic. You gave her a good life

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back