Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axolotl? Please help!!

Lisbethmaria

Reaction score
So I've had these axolotls for about a week or two. I got them from a local petshop in which they had multiple axolotls in a tank. None of them seemed harmed or were missing any limbs. So i got two and i have them in a 25 gallon long tank. They're roughly 2 to 3 inches long.
To avoid aggression I have also been feeding them outside of the tank, each one separately. They have been taking food great, I only had an issue once because the food had gone bad.
I just noticed that my albino axolotl has what looks like a small rip on its tail and a red spot were that rip is. I've been looking online and I'm not sure if its red leg. Please help me, I want to know if it is in advance so that I can take the necessary steps to help my axolotls. Also if it is, how do i go about curing it?
Its only one spot, and I checked the other axolotl and it doesn't have any.

Attachments

• 20200518_225136.jpg
    20200518_225136.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 844
  • 20200518_225117.jpg
    20200518_225117.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200518_225146.jpg
    20200518_225146.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 104

Murk

Reaction score
Looks like an injury. Tail might have gotten stuck in substrate/decoration, or the tank mate tried to take a bite.
As long as no other injuries happen this will heal just fine.

Lisbethmaria

Reaction score
Looks like an injury. Tail might have gotten stuck in substrate/decoration, or the tank mate tried to take a bite.
As long as no other injuries happen this will heal just fine.
I'm hoping that the other one didn't try to bite it. I kept an eye on them for the first week they were together and they haven't shown any signs of aggression towards one another, and are usually on opposite sides of the tank.. is there any signs that i should be aware of in case it is aggression?

Murk

Reaction score
Not all tank mate bites are aggression. Axolotls react to movement and their eyesight isn't very good, so sometimes they just snap as a reflex.

I have four axolotls in a big tank. They're good buddies and will happily lounge on top of each other, and yet, sometimes they snap at another - if they move slow enough to be possible prey. It's not that they're aggressive or territorial; biting when they see movement is simply a reflex.
The idiots sometimes try to eat plants if they float in the current; no wonder they mistake each other for food every now and then as well.

As long as they are well-fed and there is not much of a size difference, this biting is mostly harmless.

Young ones might not have learned yet to let go if they bite something that's too big.
In the end, it depends on the individual, of course. If you see lots of injuries the coming period you might consider separating them until they're a bit bigger.

----

Despite all the above, I'm not saying this is necessarily done by the tank mate. Tails are vulnerable to decorations and substrate as well, especially if the axolotl gets spooked (which young ones tend to do). Do you have any decorations or rocks or hardscape?

Lisbethmaria

Reaction score
Not all tank mate bites are aggression. Axolotls react to movement and their eyesight isn't very good, so sometimes they just snap as a reflex.

I have four axolotls in a big tank. They're good buddies and will happily lounge on top of each other, and yet, sometimes they snap at another - if they move slow enough to be possible prey. It's not that they're aggressive or territorial; biting when they see movement is simply a reflex.
The idiots sometimes try to eat plants if they float in the current; no wonder they mistake each other for food every now and then as well.

As long as they are well-fed and there is not much of a size difference, this biting is mostly harmless.

Young ones might not have learned yet to let go if they bite something that's too big.
In the end, it depends on the individual, of course. If you see lots of injuries the coming period you might consider separating them until they're a bit bigger.

----

Despite all the above, I'm not saying this is necessarily done by the tank mate. Tails are vulnerable to decorations and substrate as well, especially if the axolotl gets spooked (which young ones tend to do). Do you have any decorations or rocks or hardscape?
I do, i put a lot of fake plants in their tank as well as two hides, most of the plants are grouped together because i was moving them around to find them so that they could be fed.

Attachments

• 20200519_103629.jpg
    20200519_103629.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
  • 20200519_103611.jpg
    20200519_103611.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • 20200519_103622.jpg
    20200519_103622.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 96
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1