Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axolotl!

Dreamcatcher

Reaction score
I'm quite worried about my adult axolotl. it has been almost 2 weeks and my axolotl has been refusing every type of food I offer (the last meal before refusal to eat was small)
Since my axie stopped eating it has gotten fungus which has been treated and I have noticed that not only is my axie quite thin but the top of its tail has turned downwards and is quite stiff when moving. It is very disoriented when walking and swimming and has restricted movement of body and doesn't use tail very much when swimming.
I am really sorry but at this point I won't be able to provide any pictures due to my axolotl hiding in a pipe. I understand that this information might not be very helpful with out pictures but does anybody have any ideas as to what is wrong
I should also mention that my tank has been at a stable 19 degrees Celsius and I have tested the ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. everything is as it should be so I can't find anything that could be causing this

Skudo09

Reaction score
I will try to help as best as possible. Unfortunately, not having pictures does make it harder. If the parameters are all ok, is there anything that your axolotl could have accidentally ingested? Such as gravel? Could something have contaminated the water? What foods have you tried or feed normally? It may be worth a visit to the vets if you have access to one.

Dreamcatcher

Reaction score
Thanks, there isn't anything my axolotl could've swallowed as my tank doesnt have gravel or any pebbles. I don't think that anything could've contamited the water because I quite frequently change the water and I have tried feeding a few different kinds of pellets, bloodworms, earth worms and I've even tried live fish to see if it would possibly eat them

Skudo09

Reaction score
I am not sure. I think maybe a vet consultation might be beneficial if you have access to one in your area?more experienced members here may have some ideas.

iChris

Reaction score
stress usually brings on fungus.

start by checking water chemistry and temperature. is there excessive water movement in the tank? wild swings in temperature? (it's starting to warm up) axie prefer a cool, stable temperature.

look at the behaviour of the animal too. a happy axie should do pretty much nothing at all. are the gills folded forward? is there a kink in the tip of the tail? does it move erratically? these are all signs of stress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!