Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick baby red belly newt

red newt

Reaction score
One of my newt baby is sick. Its stomach is swelling. It can still move and eat moina.
Is there any way to cure this baby?

Attachments

• RIMG2552 (2).JPG
    RIMG2552 (2).JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 307

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure, but it looks like fluid retention, I don't think there's a lot you can do other than wait and see what happens, It may rectify itself, it might not. Newts lay hundreds of eggs and unfortunately not all of them can thrive. I've seen it myself where apparently healthy larvae and new morphs develop strange problems or stop eating etc, although it can be upsetting I just put it down to nature weeding out the genetically weak individuals for the good of the species.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure, but it looks like fluid retention, I don't think there's a lot you can do other than wait and see what happens, It may rectify itself, it might not. Newts lay hundreds of eggs and unfortunately not all of them can thrive. I've seen it myself where apparently healthy larvae and new morphs develop strange problems or stop eating etc, although it can be upsetting I just put it down to nature weeding out the genetically weak individuals for the good of the species.
Looks like bloat or fluid retention, I agree. Not much you can do for it if it's genetic.

red newt

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I took them to another aquarium and added some methylene blue, hoping its some kind of bacteria infection.
If it's genetic this is useless.
I found a Japanese researcher saying fluid retention is due to high temperature or cardiatelia.
I didn't make them live in hot water, so may be they are cardiatelia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!