Sick Larvae

Xeraki

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think my axolotl larvae are sick. I have three of them, and they're 12 days old.

They were fine a couple hours ago but I just changed their water and they're all very lethargic (they hardly move if i get my finger close to them - they normally swim away. one of them is much more lethargic than the other two, he's the smaller one. the other two still swim around a bit) and their gills are curled inwards at the ends.

Is there anything I can do? What caused it?

I think my axolotl larvae are sick. I have three of them, and they're 12 days old.

They were fine a couple hours ago but I just changed their water and they're all very lethargic (they hardly move if i get my finger close to them - they normally swim away. one of them is much more lethargic than the other two, he's the smaller one. the other two still swim around a bit) and their gills are curled inwards at the ends.

Is there anything I can do? What caused it?

Do a water check for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Did you use dechlorinated water? Has the temp changed at all?

The fresh water all checks out.. the previous water has already been tossed out so it might have been the culprit?

Though I think you're right, the temperature might have done it. I was out so I didn't know, but apparently it got warm outside today and dad didn't switch off the heat in the house. It's switched off now and I have a fan blowing over their containers.

Will they be okay now that they're in good fresh water? Should I do anything else?

2%2C19%2C14%20-%2012%20days%20old%202%2C1%20small.jpg

2%2C19%2C14%20-%2012%20days%20old%201%2C1%20small.jpg

It was a lot worse earlier, they were all curled up. I guess that means the water change and the temp drop is helping?

Ok the other two are fine but this one is floating upside-down (he keeps trying to swim upright but rolls right back over) and his stomach is bloated.. and there's a red spot on his lip now. What do I do??

sick%20axolotl.jpg

Doesnt look like he has swallowed air.
anu9yqe8.jpg
this is one of my guys who has swallowed air(dont mind the mess I am waiting for them to finish eating before i clean the water) but it definately could be air. Few questions

Do you age your water for 24-48hours before using it?
How often do you feed them?

If its air bubbles, i normally just feed them until it rectifies itself. I was lucky this batch, they only started swallowing air at 6 1/2 weeks old! I almost thought I could get through raising them without it happening.

The red spot is what stumps me. If its blood then i would be against the air bubble in stomach(could be a air bubble elsewhere)

Well.. I can't get a very good picture of it (i'll keep trying) but I definitely see an air bubble in there (which I guess explains why his stomach is so bloated). I've got food in there, but the brine shrimp all sink (with a few exceptions) and he's floating on top of the water.. should I lower the water level? it's already pretty low (about an inch and a half).

His gills are all curled forward so I know he's all stressed.. poor guy. I wish I knew what to do..

I see the air bubble, however his anatomy is concerning to me. How are the others doing? Something just seems off but maybe it is nothing! I know how difficult it is to take pictures of babies! Lol!

Really with air bubbles its a waiting game. I would lower the water so that he can access the brine shrimp as easily as possible. And also keep him a little more confortable. Give it a few days and keep us updated. It "should" rectify soon..

Do you age your water?

The other two are just fine.. they're eating, not floating, and there's no air bubbles. One's begun developing his toes and the other is almost there. They were stressed yesterday because it got warm in the house but they're alright now.

This guy is really bloated right now. It also looks like he's maybe not passing his poop? I don't know.

I age it a few hours, yeah.. should I age longer?

It is recommended that you age it 24-48hours. Now I dont know how much truth is in this but I remember reading last year that the biggest cause of air bubbles in babies is because you dont let it age long enough. Now I never have confirmed this and I think i read it on a thread here(i dont think id be able to find it lol!) but i do know that I forgot to age my water one day and now two of my juveniles now have air bubbles.. Coincidence? Who knows. Normally air bubbles are harmless.. Bloat on the other hand is often not a good sign.
Just keep him confortable and keep an eye on him over the next few days

Okay, I set aside a couple mason jars of water. I guess I got fooled since the dechlorinator says the water is safe to use immediately.. :/

So, I should lower the water to allow him to reach the brine shrimp, you think?

Do you age your water for 24-48hours before using it?
Interesting question. I'm guessing this is to prevent adding water with a supersaturation of gases to the tank? Gas bubble disease?

"Chronic gas bubble disease results in a few mortalities, hyperinflation of the swim bladder, emboli in the gastrointestinal tract and mouth, and secondary infections which can lead to higher mortality rates."
Gas Bubble Disease - WikiVet
This is for fish though so I don't know. The pictures do look like there is blood in the lower intestines too. And I'm sure the higher temperatures could have made the problem worse.

I didnt think of gas bubble disease. I also dont think it matters about the chlorine, it just had something to do with A- it can take up to 24hours for the water to stabalise to the same temp as the tub and B- like you said their is more gas bubbles(oxygen) in the water. We want to remove these because little clumsy babies will swallow these tiny gas pockets. I mean have you ever noticed the amount of air that comes out of your tap?I have.. Its crazy. Anyways I hve never heard or seen air bubbles in ones stomach kill them so I would assume--eventhough its the same idea, it doesnt cause them to die. The only instance would be if i guess the bubble would be to painful to pass? I have experienced this situation at least 20-30times and none died from it.

Okay, I set aside a couple mason jars of water. I guess I got fooled since the dechlorinator says the water is safe to use immediately.. :/

So, I should lower the water to allow him to reach the brine shrimp, you think?

I would lower it till he is still fully submerged, but barely. That way he doesnt stress that he cant touch the bottom, but enough that he is still fully covered with water so maybe 1/2"? Or so.

I use 1gallon water jugs for my babies. Fill them up every night after Iam done cleaning up after them and then use them the next night. Or 2L pop bottles very well rinsed out(no soap) i have 4 1.5gallon tubs so you can see how jars would be tedious(plus my dechlorinator is 1drop per gallon, and I have 1gallon jugs :) )

I thought it was just a thing floating in the water next to him.. but looking at it again, there's a lump on his belly. What is going on..

sick%20axolotl%202.jpg

I got out a magnifying glass my dad uses to appraise jewelery. The red spot is definitely blood, I can see little veins going in and away from it. And that's blood in his intestines. His stomach is pretty orange-ish-red, too on top of being bloated.

Orange-ish-red is probably brine shrimp+ brine shrimp turning into poop.

It is really to early to tell so I dont want to stir a panic, but it may be a early sign of bloat. At his age it would be genetic and really nothing that can be done, but like i said I cant see actual bloat right now.. Let me see what I can find for pictures to show you what to look for.

I've changed the color balance of your image to better show what you were pointing out:
LHpomK2.jpgl

This article may be of some help Why larvae die.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back