Sick marbled salamander

Lauruven

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone I was hoping someone can give me some advice on some home care. I have a adult marbled salamander who I think has got an infection from a wound I recently noticed on her tail. I had had her in an bioactive enclosure with another marble. Within last few days I noticed her out of hiding frequently which I know is unusual for the species so it set off some red flags. Her skin appeared dry & not smooth & shiny like normal so I initially thought maybe the tank in general was a little dry so misted it little more than normal. But last night I decided to take her out and put her in quarantine with just a hiding log & moist paper towels along with 2 flat stones so she can get off moisture if she wanted to. I threw in 2 or 3 small crickets to see if she had interest in them & no. I then saw the tip of her tail appeared to have some sorta injury & this has lead me to believe she may possibly have an infection because of it. Is there any home remedies I can do or meds to buy or what can I do? Should I force feed her any reptical or whatever its called the high calorie reptile paste you can feed so she has strength to fight infection? I have successfully force fed amphibians before both frogs & salamanders. I am a vet tech but currently not working to care for my child & my employer nor does any of my past ones see or are willing to see a salamander. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back