Sick Miso

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
hannie bee
Hey, my axolotl Miso is really really sick :( he is very anemic and he won't eat. He hasn't eaten for nearly a week now and is looking very thin. The water nitrate and ammonia levels are fine and my other axie Kawasaki is eating well and looking very healthy. Any help would be great xx

Hi,

how old/big is Miso and what is the water temperatur? What are you feeding him?
Some pictures could be helpful.

-Tina-

The water temperature is room temperature... pretty cold. I'll try and get some photos of him. I feed them yellow back minnows and blood worms. He won't touch anything at the moment though. I might put him in the fridge soon as I found him half floating a minute ago. I'm so worried I really don't want him to die.

Hi,

What do you mean by anaemic? how did you test for anaemia? Some photos would definately help it is a bit hard to gauge anything from your post except hes not eating and is thin the causes of which can be many and varied.

Your plan to fridge is probably the best plan in the short term you could also try some different foods maybe some beef heart or thin strips of bloody steak.

Anemic, like his gills have gone white and he's become very very thin. I'll take a photo and put him in the fridge.

Hi hanniebumblebee,

Subclinical anemic axies can only be diagnosed by haematology and a blood smear analysis. Very anaemic axolotls will present with a myriad of other clinical signs, being very immunosuppressed, vulnerable to infections and will have a chronic, long lasting presentation of very generalised pallor.

Blood circulation in axies will fluctuate due to activity level. Occasional pallor of gills at rest is normal. Photos will be great.

Other than inappetance and being in poor body condition, what other signs of illness or stress are there?

How many minnows and how often do you feed your axie? Its been quite strange lately that im seeing a lot of raw fish related anemias and neuro cases lately. Although the cases are seen in cats, excessive raw fish consumption in axies can lead to the same thing.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back