Illness/Sickness: Sick or gravid

Hannahlotl2987

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ariel
Hello all,
Bad news, my sweet girl Hannah refused food today.
Hannah has never refused food in her life. Odd is picky, but even HES eating today.
She snapped at her food and then spit it out.
Parameters:
Nitrates 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0
PH 7
She's had a lump in her side, I wasn't worried because there's nothing to swallow in the tank. But now that she didn't eat, I'm super concerned. Could she be gravid? The lump isn't hard like gravel but it's harder than her body. I'll attach pictures.
Thank you!
Ariel
IMG_1134.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope not. Her swelling in that spot seems to have gone down a little. I'm hoping she just needs a good poop!

Update: can't tell if her body swelled to match the lump or if it's gone. She's acting okay other than refusing food.
ac92a40426329d0ae10d006b439781db.jpg

Okay so, she pooped fat. Ate two pellets yesterday. But today, she refused again and the lump is back?
Maybe she needs time again? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully not a tumor.
I just did a water change just in case.

Hi Ariel
She does look distended, and it seems like there is a significant pressure in the coelomic cavity. I do not think she is just gravid.
How old is she?
I guess foreign body is not likely if you do not have any pebbles or similar?
Unfortunately, there are a few things to include in the differential diagnosis:
FB
Neoplasia (tumour)
Impaction (can occur due to different reasons, such as parasites)
Other
I would personally try to find a local vet experienced with exotic species and go from there.
Even if is a tumour, she could potentially be treated.
Good luck and best wishes
Dan

Thank you.
She's three years old (almost)
The lump seems to change size and shape during the day.
I'll see if I can get a phone appointment. I don't want to take her in and stress her out til I'm sure.
She has been taking a few pellets off and on.
There's nothing in the tank to swallow.
Other than the lump. She's actually just fat. She's always been on the chubby side.
Other lotl owners always ask me if she's pregnant or just fat.
At any rate, I'll definitely contact my local vet. Dont want to risk loosing my baby.

Also, whatever the outcome of this ordeal, I'm looking into how to get more consistent earthworms. I'm hoping to find a company that ships feeders to Hawaii.
I'm also gonna do 3 hikari carnivore pellets instead of five. And maybe every other day since they're getting older.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back