Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

SIck red legged running frog *pic*

A

a

Hello, I have a sick red legged running frog, and I need some advise, It has at least 2 abcesses, one under the pelvic gerdle. The vet did not want to drain them, as they are both very near organs.
It is still eating fine.

Thanks

AJfr0ggy
11580.jpg

P

paris

get your vet to give you a 10% batryl solution. apply it topically -a few drops to effected area over 10 days-keep the frog out of water (or soil)while it absorbs the batryl-about 10 minutes in a plain container should do it. i used to get batryl in a normal drop bottle applicator but noticed after a few months it fell out of suspension (long crystals formed) my vet now issues it in a vaccum container and i draw it out with a syringe and apply it to the skin from there (not injectin just letting it drop from the needle). that should do the trick!

A

a

I'vegot some 2.5% baytril which i have duluted to 0.25%, and giving it orally at 0.1ml
I will try dabbing it on the abcess

thanks

AJfr0ggy

P

paris

oral ir subcutaneous doesnt work on amphibians-ive tried it before and they all died, it wasnt till i tried the topical application that i started saving lives. the 10% mixture is all i have ever used so i am not sure if a lesser dosage will work but good luck. make sure your solution is still good-if you hold it up to light you will see what looks like fiberglass shards in the mix if its gone bad-in my experience it takes about 2 months at room temp for this to happen.

M

matthew

*Baytril does seem to be the antibiotic of choice among amphibian vets.

*Interesting to hear of someone using topical applications (personally, I've never heard of oral or subcutaneous administration recommended in frogs) - I have wondered if this was ever used / recommended / effective... usually UK Herp vets seem to go for long-ish baytril baths, but as others have pointed out there is often under-absorption. And it can take a bit of creativity to keep a treefrog in a bathing solution, as I once had to.

*Someone once suggested to me that the Baytril crystals are less likely to form if it is kept in the dark (but this may be a load of nonsense?!).

A

a

A few weeks ago, i had a rococo toad who had an infected wound on its back. I gave it baytril orally for a week, an it began healing up. as soon as i took it off, The wound became infected again. HOwever, i remember one day, there was just a drop on the syringe, and i just dabbed it on the wound. I will use it on the skin unitll i go and see the vet on monday.

Should i just dabble it on the abscess, or should i bath it?

thanks

AJfr0ggy

P

paris

take the frog out of its normal enclosure and put him in a bowl or something to make him sit still. drop a few drops along the back from the head to tail-on that size frog (id say its a big fat adult by those legs!) i'd dabble about6 or so drops of my 10% solution on it in different areas to avoid run off-dont get it in their eyes it burns (got it in mine once). let the frog sit so the skin soaks up the solution and the air allows for some evaporation too-about 10 mins-and do it for 10 days. i wonder about the oral application though-it does work in lizards but amphibians bodies metabolise differently,.. i wonder more if perhaps you are doing the frog not only no good but an injury by the oral route. it is after all an antibiotic- and i think a broad one too, so wouldnt it be killing off some of the frogs beneficial bacteria in its gut by direct contact?...just a question there, not sure myself.

M

matthew

I'd do that which the vet last recommended, AJfr0ggy, until you see him again. If he then changes his advice, do that instead.

I imagine an oral pathway could do it a lot of systemic harm.

A

a

HEllo, heres another twist to the possible problem. I noticed, with a whites treefrog which used to live with the running frog, a worm in the leg. this is shown below...
11679.jpg

Anyone got any idea what it is?? ill get it checked out tomorrow. I am wondering if all the problems ive been having with my whites is related to this, as i have had one with a boil pop up.

thanks
Ajfr0ggy

A

a

WIth regard to applying the baytril topically, it has healed up my rococo toads wound quite fast.
thanks

AJfr0ggy

A

a

Bad news with the running frog, I checked it last night and it is covered in bleeding 'holes' scattered across its body, particularly around the abcesses. Its also retaining alot of water, its throat hangs down, full of water. poor thing, i think it may be loosing the fight.

AJfr0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!