Illness/Sickness: Sick Tiger Salamander

Aericon

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dear little salamander named Monticel was doing quite well for 2 months until about a week ago. He/she stopped eating entirely and has become quite thin. He still runs around in his container . It is a large plastic box with 3 inches of wet sand , leaves,and rocks for him to hide under and a container or water. I have been feeding him box alder bugs, flies, crickets, and worms but he wont even look at them now. I am rather worried.. please help if you have any ideas!

What temperature is the enclosure? When is the last time you cleaned the enclosure? What kind of worms are you offering?

Last edited:
He died last night..... :( I'll answer the questions incase someone els ehas this problem though. The container was the same as my room, 70 degrees during the day and 50 at night. I cleaned his box a week or 2 ago. It was about 2 feet by 1.5 feet large. I had earthworms for him that I dug from the garden. We don't use any chemical or pesticides there.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to say what was wrong. Your set up sounds fine. It could be a lingering disease it had. Salamanders are notoriously asymptomatic until they're at death's door.

Thank you for the quick reply , If I'd found this place awhile ago it might have helped.. who knows. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back