Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Siren eggs

TJ

Reaction score
My siren has laid eggs, but I assume they're not fertile as I've had her for about 3 years but never with a male -- unless, that is, this species has incredible sperm retention capabilities like I've heard fire salamanders have.

55079.jpg

K

kieron

Nice pics
i did not know that about fire salamanders so you do lean somethink new every day lol

E

edward

Hi Tim,

I would let them sit another couple of days to be sure but the eggs do not look to be fertile.
Otherwise congrats. That is an excellant start.

Ed

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks Ed. I have separated some of the eggs from the tank to a container with aeration, and will observe what happens (though without high expectations).

By the way, has anybody ever successfully bred sirens in captivity? As far as I know, here in Japan at least, nobody has, with the exception of sirens that were already gravid when acquired, and that laid their eggs under stress or otherwise. Not that I'm claiming to have bred them here for the first time!
smile6.gif

Does anybody happen to know where and how sirens typically lay their eggs? I noticed the eggs have sticky strands between them like Andrias eggs do.

This is the same siren that I posted pics of in this thread:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/47687.html?1132848737

I've had her since March 2003, so three years now.

Well, if nothing else, I now know for sure that I have a female. I'll be on the lookout for a male from now on...

E

edward

Also as far as I know, it appears that sirens do not have the capability of sperm retention but at least in reptiles this does not mean that the eggs may not be fertile as during meiosis, the polar body can act as in place of the sperm resulting in a fertile embryo. At least in reptiles this results in male offspring.

Ed

J

jennifer

Wow, that's very cool, Tim. Even if they aren't fertile, you have witnessed a rare event!

TJ

Reaction score
That sure would be great Ed, but I'm sorry to report the eggs have all gone fuzzy.

Jen, you're of course welcome to use any of those egg pics at CC ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!