Size of 5 month old axoloti

Nan ann

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi every one can anyone tell me what size a 5 month old baby axoloti should be wild type

About 3 /4 inches I would have thought, they all grow at different rates, I have axies born at the same time and they are different sizes.

Depends where you got it from. You can get tiny 2" babies at 5 months from some poorly maintained tanks in pet shops, or you can get 6-7" juvies from breeders. 4-5" is a good size.

Mine were around 6 inches at 5 months. I have a 7 month and 6 month old axies who are nearing 8 inches now. So amazing how the younger one caught up in growth so fast with the older one.

Closing in on 7 months, mine are 6.5-8.5". The dad is at about a year and 2-3 months and nearing 12". Mom is only about 10".

The 8.5" one is a wildtype with white toes...IIRC that implied sexual maturity?

The 8.5" one is a wildtype with white toes...IIRC that implied sexual maturity?

No, it's a myth (and a popular and much-repeated one at that!).

My 4 month albinos have black toe tips, thier wildtype siblings have white. Nowhere near maturity. I think at best you could describe the toe tip colour changes as the transition from juvenile to sub-adult, or from child to adolescent.

Age is the most accurate assessor of maturity.

I have a five month old axolotl, and she’s not even close to six inches! I think she might have growing issues. Shes only 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch longer than she was at three weeks. And I got her from a good breeder!

Mine is 5 months old now an he’s only 3 inches. I got him at 4 months and I haven’t noticed a significant change I think he may have growing issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back