Skin secretion sampling methodology?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Anyone familiar with dermal secretion sampling techniques for newts?

I suspect swabs may be the right way, but I wonder if a small tissue sample is also necessitous.

My thesis finally was approved today and I now have access to a entire range of testing I have never had before.

(Without going into too much detail at this time, The results of this project will be a comprehensive analysis of an under-documented species.)

I am having difficulty finding concrete instruction on the procedure.

If there are publications you could direct me to I would be forever grateful. To date I have had no luck in finding caudate specific methods. I suspect that given the nature of this species undocumented toxin(s), dermal swabs as used with certain frogs may not provide reliable samples.

In short, I am trying to save money by "getting it right the first time".

As always, any or all advice is appreciated.

BINGO!

Thank you!

This is exactly the sort of thing I have been trying to find for weeks now. (Actually, I'm shocked I didn't with all the digging I have been doing!)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Last edited:
I probably sound like the amateur turned undergrad that I am, but if anyone has any interest in this sort of research, I suggest you read the paper Jackson provided.

Sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees, and in this case a fresh set of eyes did the trick.

I'm flattered. lol But really i'm the amature here! Happy to help.

And I think I know the species you're going to study.:p

Aye, it is obvious isn't it?

The good news is I have all sorts of testing lined up to analyze the toxin.

I am waiting for a few items to show up in the mail so I can start harvesting and prepping samples for Raman, FTIR, chromatography and spectrography.

I'm excited to find out what this stuff is as I can speak from experience, it makes me sicker than a dog very quickly, just by smelling it.

Very interested to hear the results!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back